Thursday, December 6, 2012

Where can I find free recipes for diabetic that are super easy to make and buy what is needed to make them?

Q. I am needing some recipes that are for diabetic. I am on a very low fixed income so the ingredences needs to be cheap. I have more time than money. So I don't care if it takes a while to make things. Plus I do love to cook. If you know of a free web site that I can do a whole menu for a month on that would be super. Or even a group that I could join as well to help me with this.

A. Here is a web site with recipes..............

http://vgs.diabetes.org/recipe/index.jsp

Here is a site with both recipes and menus...........

http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/

Here is a site with 5300 or more diabetic recipes...............

http://www.diabetic-recipes.com/

Here is a site with quick, easy and cheap diabetic recipes...........

http://www.diabetic-lifestyle.com/articles/apr03_dinne_1.htm

This site has a meal manager...........

http://www.dlife.com/dLife/do/recipe/RecipeMain

I hope some of these help you.

Good luck.


How important is it that a diabetic eat on time?
Q. My brother, sister-in-law & nephew have a diabetic cat. When I take care of my nephew I also take care of their cat. Sometimes when my nephew and I are out we get back 15 min to 30 min late for for the cat's 1:00 feeding. Last time I actually got back an hour late.

Is this bothering the cat or not? It's hard to tell with him, since he just lays around all day, and sleeps.

Would he be feeling worse?

The diabetes has goten much better and he doesn't need to be given insulin anymore. It's controled by diet.

A. It depends on how the diabetes is treated.

It is less important for diet controlled diabetics and type 2 diabetics who do not take insulin or sulfonurea oral meds to eat on time. This is because sulfonurea drugs actively cause the pancreas to make more insulin which lowers the blood sugar and must be counterbalanced by eating, which raises the blood sugar. If a diabetic takes an insulin injection that is supposed to lower the sugar after a meal, and they don't eat the meal, then their sugar goes too low.

This is especially a problem with the longer acting insulins. If an insulin lasts 12 or 24 hours and the person taking it does not stay on schedule, then there could be problems.

One advantage of a diabetic who has an insulin pump is that they have no long acting insulin in their body, and the insulin they do have acts so quickly that they can actually take it AFTER they eat if they had to. That way they know exactly how much insulin to take and it works so quickly they can be much more flexible with their schedule.

To answer your question...I am not a vet, but I imagine an hour late would not bother the cat any more than it would bother any other cat.


What's the difference between diabetic and regular shoes?
Q. Is there any difference between a diabetic show and a regular shoe besides the diabetic insert that goes into the shoe?

A. Diabetic Shoes

Shoes for diabetic patients are made of special protective inserts and soft shoe materials to accommodate for conditions such as neuropathy (numb feet), poor circulation, and foot deformities (bunions, hammertoes, etc.). The shoes decrease the chance of foot sores (ulcers) which can be caused by friction and pressure. This may lead to infection, gangrene, or even amputation.

The foot and ankle surgeon may measure the diabetic patient's foot and have the shoes made at a specialty laboratory. In some cases he/she will give the patient a prescription to have the shoes custom-made.


What are some safe and healthy fruits/veggies diabetic hamsters can eat?
Q. I have a female hamster that I belive to be diabetic (I am testing her tomorrow). My current feed I give her is too high in sugar, and since it is Thanksgiving most stores are closed and I can't buy her another type of food. So I was thinking just for today, I could give her fruits/veggies. She is also dehydrated (I am working on that as well and she is getting better), so anything (fruits and veggie wise) that would help would be appreciated. So I would just like a list of fruits and veggies safe for diabetic hamsters and that will help with her dehydration. Thank you!

A. The best is the Bunny or the Oxbow, if your hamster was diabetic would have really serious problems, a hamster is really delicate. The best vegetables to give to the hamster are lettuce, radicchio, the coast, the chicory, fennel and celery. While the fruit should be given once a week in small amounts. εïз





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment