Sunday, December 9, 2012

What are the odds of being born with Food allergies, asthma, and later on juvenile type 1 diabetes?

Q. I was born with allergies to Dairy, nuts, eggs, and soy, asthma, and at age ten Type one diabetes. No one in my entire family tree has ever had any of this. Im the only one. Im just curious as to what are the odds? I feel like Im the only person in the world with all of this.

A. Well allergies are auto-immune diseases where an over active immune system responds extravagantly to those items and type 1 diabetes is when an over active immune system decides to kill all the insulin producing cells. Basically Type 1 diabetes is when you become allergic to your insulin producing cells. I don't think it's a terribly odd occurrence.


What causes people with Type 1 diabetes to get bad headaches and migraines?
Q. My little brother has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with it at 12 months old and he sometimes get bad migraines. What causes migraines and bad headaches when you have type 1 diabetes?

He is 17 years old and is a big part of me. If something ever happened to him, damn I don't know what I'd do.
I need some responses here guys.
Thank Tralee, but he already has an insulin pump as do most people with type 1.

A. I have had type 1 since I was 16 yrs old and have had migraines as well . It is because your sugar goes too high and puts excess pressure on your brain cells causing exspansion of them and that is what causes the migraines . I got this info from my dr and also I got a prescription for sumatriptan and it does help but makes you very drowsy and you cannot do anything after that .


What is the type of diabetes where you don't necessarily have to be overweight?
Q. Today was the third or fourth day in the past year where I almost fainted or fainted doing very little activity. My mother's friend is a nurse and suggested that I go get tested for diabetes. I am not, however, overweight. Is type 2 diabetes the type where you don't have to be overweight to get it?
I do eat before doing these activities.
I was talking about the one that is genetic. It does run in the family, but it hasn't shown up in generations.

A. Type one diabetes is mostly hereditary


What can keep type 2 diabetes from coming back?
Q. My mom has type 2 diabetes and the doctor said it was resolved after she lost over 100lbs but now she broke her ankle. She can't really move for 6 to 8 weeks and we live on the second floor in a studio. Is there anything we can do to make sure her diabetes doesn't come back?

A. Type 2 diabetes is control by lifestyle change -- proper diet, proper exercise, and weight control.

You mom may not be able to exercise right now, but she CAN control her diet and her weight. Being pretty much inactive, she will need to REDUCE her calorie intake by eating less food.

She also needs to get up an exercise that broken ankle (as the doctor permits) so that she can get back to physical activity, and thus increase her food intake.

"Resolved" is the wrong word. "Controlled" is correct. Diabetes will NEVER leave you -- you can only CONTROL IT, WIC it seems as though you Mom has done. She must now work harder on the diet since she is temporarily inactive. in the mean time, work the necessary Physical Therapy to get the ankle back in shap so that she can resume her previous exercise level, thus KEEPING the diabetes under control.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment