Saturday, December 8, 2012

How do I go on a diabetic diet?

Q. Today I found out I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. My doctor prescribed Metformin and told me to go on a diabetic diet, as well as exercise 45 mins daily. Is there a site or book that will help me learn about this type of diet? I know that, generally, there is less sugar, as well as a low amount of breads/pastas..but that's all I have right now.

A. In essence the diabetic diet is the food pyramid. To get the best results for your health, ask your physician for a referral to a dietitian. They'll be able to tailor a meal plan that suits your needs.


Question about diabetic diet and net carbs?
Q. When you are trying to follow a diabetic diet, do you count carbs or NET carbs? For example, steel cut oatmeal has 27 g carbohydrate but 3 grams of fiber, for 24 g of net carbs. Which should I go by?

A. Theoretically you're supposed to subtract the fibre but I find that it doesn't work that way on me. In the example you gave, the oatmeal would affect me as 27g of carbs (verified by testing blood sugar after eating) and I know this is the same for many other foods. So I count the total amount.

You will only find out how YOUR body works by testing your blood sugar.


How can I reduce my fat intake while on a low carb diet?
Q. My doctor recently put me on a low carb diabetic diet. I am not a diabetic - yet. I have a very high insulin resistance in which he wants to treat with diet and exercise and diabetic meds. I have been charting everything I eat, the calories, the fat grams, the carbs, fiber and protein. However, since my carbs have decreased, it seems that my fat intake has increased - at least it seems that way in the pie chart. Is it possible to reduce the fat AND carbs? The doc wants me under 35 carbs a day which is extremely hard to do as it is. It seems like the lower fat foods have a higher carb content and the higher fat foods have a lower carb content. I am concerned about my blood lipids, blood pressure and overall heart health. I would greatly appreciate any tips or advice you may have to offer.

Thanks!
Oh, the reason I am so insulin resistant is due to the PCOS that I was diagnosed with a year ago. It's sypmtoms have started to take over my body very quickly and has deemed me infertile, unless I can drop and control my insulin levels ASAP.

A. I too have PCOS, insulin resistance and glucose intolerance. I followed the atkins plan and in 12 months lost 125 pounds, came off all meds and my cycle has been normal ever since. My triglycerides and cholesterol and LDL were normal for the first time in my adult life! While I tend to be aware of the fat sources in my diet, it really isn't necessary to go low fat if you low carb....I've kept the weight off for three years now. But if you still want to lower your fats, choose lean protein sources and use oil/fat free cooking methods. make egg white omelettes and use less cheese. Good luck with your low carbing...it works!


What type of diet is suggested for diabetes?
Q. I was recently diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I understand exercise and a healthy diet can help prevent me from getting diabetes type 2. I would like to know the specifics of a diabetic diet.

A. the best you can do to prevent diabetes is follow a pre-diabetic diet. It's mostly the same diet people with diabetes follow. You should try to avoid carbohydrates as much as possible. A good diet to follow is the glycemic index diet. More information can be found at http://www.diabeticmenu-blog.com/glycemic-menu.html





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment