Saturday, December 8, 2012

How is Diabetes easier to control nowadays and what was a "normal" reading 25 years ago?

Q. I've heard a ton of people say this. Is is because of insulins getting better? Please elaborate. Also, what was a normal, common blood sugar range around 25 years ago? I know it varies from person to person but I keep hearing how much easier diabetes is to control nowadays (and I can tell you it is! ) and I was just wondering how bad it really was years ago. Thanks for reading!

A. diabetes 25 years ago was terrible even 15 or so years ago it was bad, blood testing machines took on 2 or more minutes, i have that that now takes 5 seconds. Insulin has also improved greatly, while still in use most diabetics have moved away from insulin that was from Pigs, to insulin thats been grown via bacteria that have been genetically modified, this means that you don't have to wait 20min before eating so the insulin can start to take affect.

Not to mention things like Pumps etc now
As for control naturally it would of been higher an HBA1c being round the 13 mark with that now being considered (at least by my doctor) terrible


Can i join the marines if i have diabetes but it is under control with diet and exercise?
Q. i would really really like to join the marine corps, but i am a diabetic and am not sure if i could. would they possibly consider taking me in if i have my diabetes under control and do not have to take any meds such as a insulin shot or pills? such as having my diabetes under control by just diet and exercise? please let me know, i really would like to join.

A. i dont think so, but im not 100% sure. it is possible to get a wiaver in certain situations, but i dont think this is one of them, check with a recruiter though.check here for all of the problems that will keep you out. http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joiningthemilitary/a/intmedstandards.htm


Can you ever not have type II Diabetes if you at some point diagnosed, in terms of insurance?
Q. I was diagnosed a type II diabetic about a year and a half ago. I lost a significant amount of weight and my diabetes is controlled to the point that I no longer need medication. My doctor has said that if tested today, I would not be diagnosed as diabetic. In terms of medical and life insurance, how does this work? Am I no longer diabetic? Am I cured? Or once you are diagnosed, are you always and forever diabetic? My insurance agent could not give me a definitive answer on this subject. Thanks!

A. Although your diabetes is controlled by diet and exercise you remain a diabetic. An individual such as yourself has a higher risk of cardiovascular complications than someone who never had diabetes to begin with. In terms of medical and life insurance you would be considered a diabetic controlled by diet and exercise. If I may be of further assistance please let me know. I wish you the very best of health and in all things may God bless. JR


Why do I have a lot of sugar in my urine and not in my blood?
Q. I have type 2 diabetes. I control mine with diet and exercise. But there is something weird about my diabetes that even the nurses or doctors know how to explain and figure out. My blood sugars are always running around 90-115, which is good. But every time that the doctor checks me, I have like 1000-2000 mg in my urine, which is high they told me. Why is it that I have good blood sugars but high in my urine?

A. Glucose Spill-over

As long as blood sugar concentrations remain below 175-200 milligrams per deciliter in the blood, none will �spill over� into the urine as it is being made in the kidneys. If, however, the blood glucose level is even transiently elevated over that threshold of 175-200 milligrams/deciliter, glucose can be detected in the urine using standard urine dipsticks. Urine collected for analysis represents the urine produced over many hours. As a result, it is impossible to ascertain whether a positive dipstick for glucose represents chronic "spill-over" of a small amount of excess blood glucose into the urine, or whether a great deal of glucose spilled into urine over a transient period during which the blood sugar levels were significantly elevated. The former situation suggests an �under-regulation� associated with an inadequate insulin dose or dosing interval while the latter situation suggests over-regulation caused by insulin toxicity. When insulin overdoses cause blood sugar levels to plunge dangerously low, the body initiates a physiologic compensatory response which counteracts the effects of insulin and results in a massive production of glucose to elevate blood glucose to safe ranges. This culminates in dramatic transient surges in blood sugar which spills over into the urine, causing positive glucose readings on the urine dipsticks even though the underlying cause is too much, not too little insulin. This phenomenon is called Somogyi, named after the endocrinologist who originally described it. One can easily imagine why insulin dosage adjustments based on urine dipstick readings alone can very dangerous.

I think this covers this very well





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment