Sunday, December 9, 2012

What does it mean to be 'glucose intolerant' and what is the best place to find reference material about it?

Q. I have heard the term 'Glucose intolerant' but I have no idea what it mean, exactly. Where can I find reference material that explains it in detail. What sort of foods can a person eat or drink? Does this mean a person has something like sugar diabetes and do they have to take meds? What effect does this have on a person's body if they have too much glucose?

A. It means that you can't have sugar. It is like lactose intolerant which means you can't have milk. A good resource reference could be an encyclopedia. The person has to eat or drink foods that have very low sugar. It might mean they have sugar diabetes depending on how bad it is. You might have to take medication if it is very bad. Glucose can be good, it is like natural sugar like sugar in apples.


Food or meal ideas with very low sodium, very low sugar, and low calories?
Q. There's an older relative of mine who has been told they need to eat foods with very low sodium (due to kidneys) and very low sugar (diabetes). These are per doctor's instructions, and they were given a generic list of food recommendations. However, I just wanted to throw this question out there to see if there are any creative ideas or possibly recipes that people would know of. I can tell that this family member is getting rather bored with their diet.

A. There are lots of creative ideas, limited only by your imagination. I will make a couple of recommendations. First and foremost, keep regular appointments with the doctor. Here are a couple to start with:

breakfast - make oatmeal - REAL oatmeal. you will find it is sodium free. I make mine with skim milk, but you may want to cook with water as it has no sugar and mike does. use 3/4 cup oats and 1.5 cups liquid. This is an inexpensive filling meal with many benefits. Sweet and low adds to the flavor and I put 1/2 tsp of cinnamon on mine. There is some research that claims cinnamon (and other spices to some extent) have positive effects on cholesterol and glucose levels. Check for yourself and don't over do it, as you CAN consume too much cinnamon.

For lunch, try a turkey sandwich on toasted light bread. Look around for lower sodium products. Add romaine lettuce and use mustard instead of mayo. Add some carrot or celery styx and a sugar free jello and you have another winner.

Dinner is the easiest. I like grilled chicken breast - if you look in the spice isle you can find a lot of sodium free spice mixes, or just cook with pepper and the juice of a fresh lemon. Add some grilled, roasted, or steamed veges and serve with a portion of brown rice.

For a snack, try an apple (cored and sliced) banana, orange in season or air popped popcorn with a tall cold glass of seltzer water and lemon.

These ideas lower most people's food bills, and usually their weight, which helps with the other problems.

Good Luck to you family and bless you for being a helper!


How do i avoid sugar addiction on frutarian diet?
Q. i have heard that you can get sugar diabetes like symptoms. Is it really that bad i thought Fruit was the perfect food!

I was thinking doing apples and bananas and pineapples and melons because they are all over but i'm beginning to think of doing tomatoes and avocados as the main fruits and then the really sweet stuff will come in as treats.

My main question is can i become diabetic if i stuck with the common sweet fruits?

A. Since your question deals with addiction, you should check out this site, it has lots of helpful info that might help with your question:

http://www.recoveryforums.org

This site has a lot of great resources for people dealing with addiction or recovery, and those who know people who are dealing with it. It is worth a look in my opinion.


Does anyone know what a good average blood sugar level is?
Q. I passed out at work today and think it was because of my blood sugar! Diabetes runs in my family and I have a checker I just don't know what the average is!

A. The range of normal blood glucose is 80 to 120. The average normal non-diabetic person will have a BG of between 85 to 95 two hours after a meal. As a diabetic that's the number to shoot for. It's hard as hell to get numbers matching normal non-diabetics without conscienously making an effort. I have dropped my BG's from the high 400's to about 110 over the course of 18 months. I have a meal plan for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Of course, I stray but I try to keep it to a minimum, just the same. My averages are 100 for the morning, 110 - 119 for noon and dinner time is about 95-115. My A1c went from 14 down to 6.2 over that time. If I can do it, anyone can. It just takes effort.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment