Friday, December 7, 2012

If I eat before my 3 hour gestational diabetes test will it make me fail?

Q. I failed my one hour gestational diabetes test only with a 146 which isn't that bad but enough that my OBGYN wants me to take the 3 hour test. I was told that the three hour test is a fasting test but the problem is I get really sick if I dont eat when my body says I'm hungry. If I eat before I go in for my test will it make my blood sugar levels come out high? Thank you for your help.

A. Yes. You MUST fast before the test to get an accurate result. If it makes you nauseous, you'll just have to deal with it that day, unfortunately. Good luck.


I would like to know more about the diabetes test?
Q. I'll be taking a diabetes test tomorrow and I want to know how is this done. My doctor told me to fast for 12 hours before the test, and I know that includes a lot of foods and drinks but can I still drink water.

A. Hi, depending on what ur doctor wants it can take up to 2 to 5 hours. Mine took 5. They make you drink this nasty very sweet juice and about every 30 to an hour they prick you to check your blood. The side affects very to people. I got extremely tired. You can also get heart raising, nausea and sometimes vomiting but you can't vomit it up or you'll have to reschedule. and yes you can drink water. They told me if my stomach gets upset I could drink water.


Any of you fail the first Gestational Diabetes test but pass the second?
Q. So I'm 29 weeks and was informed that I failed my first Gestational Diabetes test (the one where you don't have to fast). My level was 139. Now I have to do the 3 hour test and I was just wondering if there was anyone who failed the first test but passed the second? And what were your levels, if you remember?

Thanks so much!

A. Yes, I failed the first test with a result in the 170s and I passed the second test.


Do You Think Diabetes Tests And Wheel Chairs Billed To Medicare Are Ripping Off The System?
Q. You see the ads on TV all the time, "free" diabetes tests and "free" wheel chairs. Free IF you are on Medicare. Do you think these advertisers are ripping off the system? Generating demand that wouldn't exist without their ads, or generating demand so they can overcharge the system? Nothing is free. Money that gets paid for a wheel chair is not available to pay for an operation. If its needed, by all means it should be covered, but it seems wrong to be advertising these devices to create demand. Your thoughts?

A. Well there shouldn't be commercial companies promoting the distribution of social services for a profit but likewise, many people don't know the services that are available to them. I don't think companies should be advertising on TV and be the middle man in government services but I do think the government needs to get better at outreach programs to reach those in need of help.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment