Saturday, December 8, 2012

What causes the tingling/numbness in extremities as a Type 2 Diabetes symptom?

Q. Why does this happen? Why do people experience this as a symptom when they have Type 2 Diabetes?

A. High levels of blood sugar are actually toxic to nerves and blood vessels. If blood sugar is high enough for a long enough period of time there are complications, such as:

-Nerve Damage (leading to numbness/tingling)

-Artery Damage (leading to heart disease, stroke risk, vision problems, and infections)

-Kidney Damage

These are just a few of the more common complications of diabetes (Type I or Type II).


Can type 2 diabetes be diagnosed only by the blood sugar levels?
Q. If there is no other sign exept high blood sugar levels, can that be type 2 diabetes? Is it necesary to have some clinical symptoms at all in such case?

A. I had no clinical symptoms. I'm not and wasn't overweight and showed no symptoms whatsoever.

I was diagnosed only because I took a blood sugar test just to be taking one. Imagine my surprise when the numbers came out insanely high.

So yes, you may not show symptoms in the beginning and still be diabetic. Please don't wait for symptoms to manifest themselves before you go see a doctor. The consequences are not good.


At what stage in diabetes does diabetic retinopathy occur?
Q. By this I mean, prediabetes, diabetes type 2, or only if the patient refuses to accept treatment?

Also, my doc said I have slightly high blood sugar. I am only 20 years old and of average weight. Will my blood sugar always be above normal for the rest of my life? What can I do to lower it and get it back to normal?

A. Diabetic retinopathy can occur at anytime and is the result of prolonged high blood sugars. However, 3 days of high blood sugar will NOT make you go blind. I've been diabetic for 21 years now and unfortunately did not take very good care of myself when I was first diagnosed. I am just now starting to see complications from retinopathy though.

The important thing to know about retinopathy is that there may be no symptoms or pain early on. You won't notice any changes in your vision until the disease progresses. It is VERY important to have a dilated eye exam at least once a year. If I'd not had that done I don't know how long it would have been before they'd found mine.

The type of diet to follow to help control slightly elevated blood sugar is really one that anyone wanting to be healthier would follow. Cut back on sugar, sodium and fat/cholesterol content. Drink lots of water and get plenty of exercise. Stop smoking if you are a smoker.

I've attached 2 articles that have some good information in them on retinopathy.

Good luck and I hope this helps!


Can skinny people get type 2 diabetes?
Q. Also, did any one who has type 2 diabetes have symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), or reactive hypoglycemia (when blood sugar falls so fast that it feels low) years before they were diagnosed with diabetes? Or did you always feel fine before you were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes? My reason for asking is because I have a 60% chance of getting diabetes in the next ten years ( because I had gestational diabetes). But I am very slim yet my blood sugar always feels low and unstable even though I eat small meals throughout the day and watch my carbs.

A. Yes, you can feel low, even with high blood sugars. Your body is used to higher blood sugars, and when they are a lot lower then what the body is used to, you can feel low. This is personal experience. I felt low when I went from 200 down to 140.

I found out that I needed to resist eating until I tested my blood sugar and made sure it was in the safe zone before eating.

I know when I'm high (sleepy a little) and when I'm low (low on energy). I had mine down to 62 one day and didn't even know it, but felt a little weak.

Before I was diagnosed, I had no symptoms whatsoever, NONE. I still have no symptoms that other diabetics get - no thirst, no hunger, no running to the bathroom, nothing. My diabetes was discovered purely by accident when I was being checked for extreme headaches (caused by my being highly allergic to Splenda - Sucralose as I found out later)

You can delay or avoid the onset of diabetes by following a few simple rules:

1) Exercise at least 30 continuous minutes every day (walking works) and add resistance training 3 times a week as well.
2) Avoid & never eat anything that was made with white flour - it is treated with a chemical called Alloxan, which makes it fluffy and looks nice. However, Alloxan is given to lab animals to give them permanent diabetes for testing purposes.
3) Never eat or drink anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup in it - it has been linked to developing type 2 diabetes and pancreatic cancer (as if Jan 17, 2010).
4) Avoid stress as much as possible - stress has been linked to getting diabetes as well.
5) keep blood sugars in the normal range as much as possible, but generally between 70 and mid 90's with 75-80 being optimal. This isn't possible, but it is a target for everyone.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment