Sunday, December 9, 2012

How common is it to be misdiagnosed with diabetes?

Q. After completeing a glucose tolerance test with the results finding hypoglycemia, how can a doctor call it type two diabetes? How would glimiperide or glipizide help this condition? I guess I don't understand how these two medications work. Can anyone explain it? Thanks..

A. Before you let your doctor put you on medication, change your diet! My doctor wanted me to start on medication because my glucose was showing 129 on my blood work. 125 was the cutoff. We know people that have gone on medication only to become insulin dependant later on.

I have changed my diet, started excercising and my glucose levels are in check. I don't deny that I am in the first stages of becoming a type 2 diabetic but you shouldn't have to take medications right off the bat. Unless of course your blood sugar is over 300!

I don't want to be a nay sayer in the medical community but there is a lot of money to be made in medications, glucose strips ($1 a piece, glucometers are free of course), doctors visits. The glucose used to be 140 now it is 125. There is talk about lowering it even still! So if you are borderline the next blood test will have you pegged as a diabetic. Just image if 5 million more people become "diabetic" by looking at a blood test. Millions more people to give pills to, strips to buy, line some big drug pockets.

And once your pegged, forget it, your pegged for life. If you have some aspect of diabeties in your family like mine (dad had it), there is the heredity factor.

I can't stress enough about the diet and exercise portion. Monitor your glucose levels if you can for a couple of months and keep records on your food intake, weight and sugar levels. Present them to your doctor and then try a different course of action (medication) if you really need it.


Is smoking considered a statistically significant contributor to diabetes?
Q. The reason I ask is because it seems heavy metals can cause type two diabetes. Smoking tends to cause cadmium poisoning. It would seem that it should contribute to it, but smokers tend to be slimmer which wouldn't correlate to the strong relationship between obesity and diabetes.

Does anyone know of any sources indicating smoking as a causation for diabetes?
Statistically speaking smokers are slimmer than the rest of the population by about 10 lbs. I know some huge smokers myself...that's not the point.

A. As it happens I was just wondering about any link with smoking and diabetes the other day; I'm diabetic but I've never smoked.

Most stuff I found was about the dangers of smoking for diabetics - since they have an increased risk of heart disease etc.

This article from Diabetes UK is about research which found a possible link to mothers smoking during pregnancy and children developing type 2 diabetes later in life.

Unfortunately it doesn't give a link to the study

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/en/About_us/News_Landing_Page/2002/2807/


Is it possible to have high blood sugar without having diabetes?
Q. So, I was "diagnosed" with type two diabetes earlier this year, and the only physical sign they went by was a high blood pressure. Is it possible that I was mis-diagnosed, or is the chance pretty high that I actually do have diabetes?
Ah, I do remember something about glucose. Either way, even if they had facts that I was not aware of, is it possible to be mis-diagnosed by a doctor? Even a competent one?

A. Are you sure high blood pressure was the ONLY sign that they went by? Because... your doctor would either be
1) Very very very incompetent
2) A 4 year old

Maybe they checked other things that you weren't aware of. But I'm pretty sure they had to at least do some bloodwork and actually run tests on your blood and see how your body responds to glucose.. in order to consider diabetes.


Is there a way to get ride of type 2 diabetes?
Q. I eat right but I don't exercise and before I didn't eat right at all but if I exercise a lot and loose all my body weight which isn't a lot and keep on eating right is there a chance I could get ride of type two diabetes?

A. No, you can never get rid of it but doing those things can help make it barely even an issue.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment