Saturday, December 8, 2012

What are the rules of the diabetes diet?

Q. My fasting blood sugar just tested a little high (102) so I'm interested in following a diabetes diet in order to prevent diabetes. How does it work? Are you mean to eat frequently or just three times per day? How do you incorporate fruits? For example, can I have a snack of strawberries alone or should they be combined in a meal?

Let me know if you know of any great online resources that provide a good overview.

A. google should turn up good resources,
You can get tons of rules with "eat this" "don't eat that" and so on, but it really boils down to one simple rule:
keep your blood sugar balanced.
If you eat lots of sugar, that is not good, it will raise your blood sugar. If you go too long with out eating, that is also not good because your blood sugar level will get too low.
Things like whole grains and proteins take longer for your body to break down, so it will not spike your blood sugar so much and it will keep your blood sugar from dropping for a longer time.

If you know any organic chemistry, that will help. Think about the molecules which are larger and harder to break down. Complex carbohydrates, fats, proteins, stuff like that is better.


How will be the weight gain in the women with gestational diabetes....?
Q. I am about 33 weeks pregnant and was diagnosed gestational diabetes in my 28th week. Now I am controlling my sugar levels with the diet given by the doctor. I did not gain any weight since 4 weeks with this diet. My total weight gain in 33 weeks is 20 pounds. But I am worrying that did not gain any weight during these 4 weeks with Gest.Diabetes diet...Can somebody help me in this...?

A. if you are overweight, you don't have to worry about not gaining weight during pregnancy if you're following the gestational diabetic diet - the diet is taking off the fat, but your baby is still getting the nutrition it needs.


How much protein is too much with gestational diabetes?
Q. How much protein is too much? I read that too much or too little can cause preeclampsia .. but I'm on the gestational diabetes diet & sometimes meat is all you can eat! (Well, of course vegetables, but it gets old eating the same thing day in and day out .. ) But how much is "too much" .. ?

A. I think you would have to eat a lot of meat to cause a problem ...I had GD too and I just ate a normal serve each meal .


What is the difference between type A and type B diabetes?
Q. I know some people can control their diabetes through diet, but I don't know what that classifies as. Also is Hypoglycemic in the same category of diabetes?

A. Hi, I've never heard of Type A or Type B. The actual terms are Type I or Type II. Type I diabetics typically are required to take insulin. This is where the insulin is not made in the pancreas.

Most Type II (Or adult-onset) diabetics can maintain their blood sugars with a combination of medication, changing eating patterns, and exercise. Type II's are usually resistant to insulin. Some Type II folks also have to take insulin. I guess you could call that Type III.

Hypoglycemic is a term related to diabetes of where you have lower blood sugar than normal. Hyperglycemic would mean you have a higher blood sugar count than normal.
For example, if normal blood readings are 80-120 and your readings are on average 180+ then you are hyper. If less than 80 then hypo. The issue when you have low sugar is this can cause some other issues you don't want.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment