Sunday, December 9, 2012

What is the physiological explanation for the relationship between diabetes and end-stage renal disease? ?

Q. I know the kidney is a non-insulin dependent organ , so having extended periods of high blood sugar (such as in uncontrolled Diabetes) causes elevated amount of glucose enter to the kidney. I was wondering why the entrance of large amount of glucose to the kidney can potentially lead to kidney damage? What is the high amount of glucose doing to damage the kidney?
Thanks

A. From what I've read, the mechanism of renal damage by hyperglycemia isn't understood at this time.

Diabetes messes up arteries, so I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some vascular component involved.

Here's an article that explores some of the possible mechanisms:
http://www.renalandurologynews.com/Mechanisms-of-Diabetic-Nephropathy/article/20546/


Could I Be Diabetic And Thats What Caused Me To Get A Positive Pregnancy Test?
Q. Can diabetes cause a woman to get a positive on a pregnancy test when she's not?

I've been tested for diabetes before and it always comes out negative. I'm a big girl (5ft 9inches tall and almost 400 pounds) so if I had it I wouldn't know. I have been using the bathroom more than usual, but I'm always hungry (lol). I just need to rule out causes for a positive test other than pregnancy.

A. No, having diabetes will not cause a positive pregnancy test. The only thing that causes a positive pregnancy test is HCG, the hormone of pregnancy, and in some extremely rare cases, certain medications or rare forms of cancer.

If you got a positive pregnancy test, you are pregnant. See a doctor.


Can Diabetes 2 cause tingling in the feet that comes and goes?
Q. Sometimes the tingling is persistent and lasts for many days.
Other times it dies down or completely goes away for a few hours at a time.
It's gotten a bit better since I started a low dose of Metformin.
Going to a higher dose in a few days. The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if Diabetes would cause this or not. Thanks for any input. :)

A. Yes, my friend, type 2 diabetes can cause what's called diabetic peripheral neuropathy. This comes about due to damage to the nerves in the extremities ... in this case, your feet ... from chronic elevated blood sugar (glucose) levels.

You need to speak with your doctor about this, my friend, as there are medications which MAY help. I say MAY help as different medications work for different people. Some of the medications can cause adverse effects, so you need to ask your doctor about these. (Some of the medications, which MAY include pain killers, antidepressant drugs, as well as anti-seizure drugs, can cause really intense lethargy/tiredness, and you MAY find yourself sleeping for most of the day ... every day ... whilst you're taking them.)


Is dark skin on my big toe joints a result of my diabetes?
Q. The skin on both of my big toes is darker than the rest of my skin. This started a few years after I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes (which I have now had for 17 years). Does diabetes cause this?

A. Sounds like acanthosis nigricans, you can read about it here...

If it IS this condition, if you can get your average blood sugar down, it should clear up. Have your doctor look at it at your next diabetes checkup to rule out other causes.

http://www.isletsofhope.com/diabetes/problems/acanthosis_nigricans_an_1.html

http://www.diabetesselfmanagement.com/articles/Diabetes_Definitions/Acanthosis_Nigricans





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment