Monday, December 3, 2012

What brand/type of diabetes testing strips can be bought in Dhaka,Bangladesh ?

Q. I would like to buy a nice new blood glucose meter from the US for my Aunt in Dhaka who has diabetes. Since the test strips have an expiration date, I need to pick a meter that can take test strips which can be bought from Dhaka when she runs out of test strips. If you can provide the name and location of the store that sells test strips, please provide.

A. In Bangladesh we have plenty of Johnson & Johnson's ONETOUCH ULTRA2 LifeScan Blood Glucose Meter available with their spare strips. We got the following reference form the doctor:

Sonargaon Healthcare Pvt Ltd.
H-99 1st floor, 11/A Satmasjid Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka.
Tel.: 8118823 and 9141657
Email: <sakarim@bonline.org>

If you go to Shahbagh Medicine shops or any medicine shops attached with famous Hospitals like Popular, Square, LabAid, United, Apollo etc then you can find the test strips easily.

PS. The cost of LifeScan strips here is atrocious. Therefore, try to bring enough strip in their original plastic containers so that it can cover the replenishment time within expiration date.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with above mentioned company in any manner. I have written above information from the equipment and bottles we bought locally and for our own use only.

Hope above helps.


How did diabetes start for you?
Q. type one or type two, I want to know how all of this starts. how were you feeling when you diagnosed? what led to you going to the doctor? and were you hyper or hypoglycemic?

A. I was 11 & diabetes wasn't something that either my mother or father had, so it wasn't a big concern when I started to feel sick. My mother treated it like a cold & kept me in bed, feeding me popsicles & chiken soup.
It wasn't until I started going to the restroom almost every 20 minutes & asking for water that my mother concerned about my symptoms. I remember after lying in bed for almost 4-5 days I asked her "Am I going to die?" & she took me to our doctor's office. (I know it sounds morose, but it wasn't as depressing as it sounds when I asked her) Immediately after coming to the doctor's office he said I had type 1 diabetes & called for an ambulance.
The last thing I remember was being hauled to the car before going to the doctor's office. I collapsed & went into a sugar-induced coma. I woke up 2 days later in the ICU & was told my blood sugar was 1461 when they admitted me. (That's not a typo or an exaggeration...it was one thousand four hundred and sixty-one)
Luckily after a 5 day stay at the hospital I was released & taught a TON about the pancreas, dieting & measuring my food intake.


How young can you detect Type 1 Diabetes in an infant?
Q. Diabetes runs in my husbands side of the family, and he was diagnosed at 11 withtype 1 diabetes. We have a 6 month old baby girl and im just curious as to how early type 1 diabetes can be detected or how early it can occur. I Would appriciate any info on the type of tests that are run to diagnose this in an infant or young child.Thanks!

A. You or your doctor can press a glucose stick into a very wet diaper.
Any sugar would show up.
Babies are checked at birth.
You should let your doctor know your concerns in advance and he can do regular tests .
Good luck.


How do I get healthy with diabetes?
Q. I recently started a blog about getting healthy with diabetes. The address is http://gettinghealthywithdiabetes.blogsp� Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

A. I actually typed up a (fairly long) post not too long ago. Have a read, if you'd like.

http://unafragger.blogspot.com/2009/11/diabetes-research.html

Particularly the "controlling diabetes" section.

Short answer: Eat Right (lower carb intake), keep blood sugars within "normal" ranges (80-120 preferably) using diet, exercise, medications, and/or insulin as required.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

3 comments:

  1. Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. Expired Test Strips supply companies offer a whole range of diabetic products at reduced prices that help diabetics affect their condition affordably. Expired Test Strips could also be a medical condition during which the body is unable to provide enough insulin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very Glad to talk to your informational Post! There are many reasons that diabetics have test strip buyers laying around their house. Some people switch meters because their doctor is recommending a special brand.

    ReplyDelete