Wednesday, December 5, 2012

my husband was just diagnosed with diabetes II, he is in complete denial. How do I get him with the program?

Q. He is supposed to control his diet but he still eating the same old crap and is also a big meal skipper. Rather than knowing he is predisposed to diabetes because of his familiy history and being african american, he assumes its just something he can't prevent.

A. You really can't. This is a journey he needs to take, and most of us have taken it. About the best thing you could do is check with your doc's office or local hospital to keep an eye out for diabetes education classes. Sign both of you up and attend together. Sometimes just knowing he's not alone and hearing others' ideas of how they live healthier can boost his motivation. There is also a really good 30-minute TV show called DLife on CNBC on Sunday afternoons that you could record and watch together.


How much junk food can I eat?
Q. My grandpa has diabetes II and I'm trying to prevent getting it myself. But I really "Need" some processed foods. So do you think it's okay to for example eat 1 scoop ice cream, 1 slice of apple pie and a muffin in a week. That's all, no sodas or anything. Only vegetables, fruit, fish, nuts, whole wheat bread, water and other unprocessed foods for the rest of the week. Is this safe?

A. The main thing is to keep a reasonably balanced diet and consider how your grandparent developed diabetes, whether it was from being overweight or not.


Do any of you have other afflications that you have to deal with in addition to you diabetes?
Q. I have diabetes type II, but I also have several other disorders that I have to deal with on a daily basis. Including a seizure disorder, anxiety disorder, emphasema, severe vertigo, and insomnia. With each of these disorders and my diabetes I have to take about 35 pills a day to get through to the next.

A. I have many other medical challenges .
You may be the first person i have ever hear of who takes more medication than I do .
I am not far beyond you.


The most significant difference between diabetes type I and diabetes type II is:?
Q. A diabetes type I requires treatment with insulin whereas diabetes type II never requires insulin injections.

B diabetes type I is caused by insufficient insulin whereas diabetes type II is caused by insufficient glucagon.

C diabetes type I occurs mostly in children whereas diabetes type II does not affect children.

D diabetes type I is caused by insufficient insulin production whereas diabetes type II is caused by decreased peripheral utilization of glucose.

A. Aren't B & D the same??? My answer is B & D. I would like to correct you on 1 point though -

C. Type II DOES affect children. My daughter and a friend's daughter have it. They have it under control with diet.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment