Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How did diabetes start for you?

Q. type one or type two, I want to know how all of this starts. how were you feeling when you diagnosed? what led to you going to the doctor? and were you hyper or hypoglycemic?

A. I was 11 & diabetes wasn't something that either my mother or father had, so it wasn't a big concern when I started to feel sick. My mother treated it like a cold & kept me in bed, feeding me popsicles & chiken soup.
It wasn't until I started going to the restroom almost every 20 minutes & asking for water that my mother concerned about my symptoms. I remember after lying in bed for almost 4-5 days I asked her "Am I going to die?" & she took me to our doctor's office. (I know it sounds morose, but it wasn't as depressing as it sounds when I asked her) Immediately after coming to the doctor's office he said I had type 1 diabetes & called for an ambulance.
The last thing I remember was being hauled to the car before going to the doctor's office. I collapsed & went into a sugar-induced coma. I woke up 2 days later in the ICU & was told my blood sugar was 1461 when they admitted me. (That's not a typo or an exaggeration...it was one thousand four hundred and sixty-one)
Luckily after a 5 day stay at the hospital I was released & taught a TON about the pancreas, dieting & measuring my food intake.


How young can you detect Type 1 Diabetes in an infant?
Q. Diabetes runs in my husbands side of the family, and he was diagnosed at 11 withtype 1 diabetes. We have a 6 month old baby girl and im just curious as to how early type 1 diabetes can be detected or how early it can occur. I Would appriciate any info on the type of tests that are run to diagnose this in an infant or young child.Thanks!

A. You or your doctor can press a glucose stick into a very wet diaper.
Any sugar would show up.
Babies are checked at birth.
You should let your doctor know your concerns in advance and he can do regular tests .
Good luck.


How do I get healthy with diabetes?
Q. I recently started a blog about getting healthy with diabetes. The address is http://gettinghealthywithdiabetes.blogsp� Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.

A. I actually typed up a (fairly long) post not too long ago. Have a read, if you'd like.

http://unafragger.blogspot.com/2009/11/diabetes-research.html

Particularly the "controlling diabetes" section.

Short answer: Eat Right (lower carb intake), keep blood sugars within "normal" ranges (80-120 preferably) using diet, exercise, medications, and/or insulin as required.


How do I get Diabetes back on track?
Q. Ive been a diabetic for 11 years now. Im now 22 years old. About a year ago, I stopped taking my insulin and eating anything i wanted. Dont ask me why, i was just an idiot. Since then, Ive lost a lot of weight, about 25 pounds ( i was already skinny so its a big difference) and my blood sugar has gone WAYYY up. Ive recently started takin my insulin again and gained about 5 pounds. Does the weight loss have anything to do with insulin rejection?... Also i was wondering what is a really good diet to follow, that wont leave me starving after a meal. Thanks for reading guys.

A. The fact that type 1 diabetes is due to the failure of one of the cell types of a single organ with a relatively simple function (i.e. the failure of the islets of Langerhans) has led to the study of several possible schemes to cure this form diabetes mostly by replacing the pancreas or just the beta cells. In contrast, type 2 diabetes is more complex, with fewer prospects of a curative measure, but further understanding of the underlying mechanism of insulin resistance may make a cure possible in the future. Correcting insulin resistance would provide a cure for type 2 diabetes in many cases.

Only those type 1 diabetics who have received a kidney-pancreas transplant (when they have developed diabetic nephropathy) and become insulin-independent may now be considered "cured" from their diabetes. Still, they generally remain on long-term immunosuppressive drug and there is a possibility the autoimmune phenomenon will develop in the transplanted organ.

Transplants of exogenous beta cells have been performed experimentally in both mice and humans, but this measure is not yet practical in regular clinical practice. Thus far, like any such transplant, it has provoked an immune reaction and long-term immunosuppressive drugs will be needed to protect the transplanted tissue. An alternative technique has been proposed to place transplanted beta cells in a semi-permeable container, isolating and protecting them from the immune system. Stem cell research has also been suggested as a potential avenue for a cure since it may permit regrowth of Islet cells which are genetically part of the treated individual, thus perhaps eliminating the need for immuno-suppressants. However, it has also been hypothesised that the same mechanism which led to islet destruction originally may simply destroy even stem-cell regenerated islets. A 2007 trial of 15 newly diagnosed patients with type 1 diabetes treated with stem cells raised from their own bone marrow after immune suppression showed that the majority did not require any insulin treatment for prolonged periods of time.

Microscopic or nanotechnological approaches are under investigation as well, in one proposed case with implanted stores of insulin metered out by a rapid response valve sensitive to blood glucose levels. At least two approaches have been demonstrated in vitro. These are, in some sense, closed-loop insulin pumps.[citation needed]

A new discovery might have important implications for treatment of diabetes. Researchers at the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children injected capsaicin into NOD mice (Non-obese diabetic mice, a strain that is genetically predisposed to develop the equivalent of type 1 diabetes) to kill the pancreatic sensory nerves. This treatment reduced the development of diabetes in these mice by 80%, suggesting a link between neuropeptides and the development of diabetes. When the researchers injected the pancreas of the diabetic mice with sensory neuropeptide (sP), they were 'cured' of the diabetes for as long as 4 months. Also, insulin resistance (characteristic of type 2 diabetes) was reduced. These research results are in the process of being reproduced, and their applicability in humans will have to be established in future. Any treatment that might result from this research is probably years away.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment