Saturday, December 1, 2012

Are there any protein shakes made especially for diabetics?

Q. I've been trying to lose weight and build some muscle but I need to add more protein to my diet. If you know of a protein shake made especially for diabetics please let me know. I already eat plenty of fish, chicken, tofu and other lean proteins but a protein shake after a workout would be great. Thanks.

A. Glucerna and Extendbar.com have great bars

but watch the protein..... us diabetics cant have alot of protein due to kidney problems!!!!!!!


Is Diet Pepsi Caffeine free okay for diabetics or does it still contain caffeine?
Q. I was thinking of an option as a treat hear and there as a drink. I saw caffeine free diet pepsi in walmart and wondered if it was okay for a type II diabetic trying to keep blood sugar under control. I know caffeine is bad for diabetics so I wondered if this product still contained small amounts of caffeine or if it was truly caffeine free?

A. Yes, it's okay as long as you drink lots of water too. Look on the label, they cannot label something caffeine free if it isn't anymore.


What are some good pastas for diabetics?
Q. My mother is a diabetic, and I actually want to go on a lower carb diet for my training, so I want to know what are some good pastas, breads and things like that, which are low in carbs?
I read it should be lower than 50 on the glycemic index, but I don't really know. What is good for lower carbs for diabetics?

A. Some people have good luck with shiritaki noodles, but not me. Others swear by Dream Fields pastas, but not me. Others say they can eat whole grain breads, but not me.

I must avoid any grains or cereals completely. I usually have half a slice of whole grain or pumpernickle toast with butter with my breakfast.

All this depends on the individual and they way their body reacts to the carb grams in the pastas and breads. And rices too!

Try reading through one of the South Beach low carb food plan books. I use phase 2 and have for the past 12 years. Some of the recommended foods cause my glucose to spike more than others. So the ones I know cause spiking I avoid most of the time.

glycemic index was developed by David Mendosa. His site is:
http://www.mendosa.com It also has the glycemic load of most foods of the world listed if you wish to go that way. Read what he has to say about glycemic index and glycemic loads.

Another site for general information on diabetes that is really good is:
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/


I am looking for a colon cleanse product/drink that is okay for diabetics to use?
Q. I am diabetic and I want to do a cleanse before I start changing my diet for weight loss. But a lot of them require you to fast and I can't b/c I am diabetic. Do you know of any cleansing drinks or teas that are okay for diabetics?

A. Patrice-
Colon cleansing has absolutely no medical benefit and is in fact harmful to the dietary tract. There is no "build up" of bad plaque in a normal system. We "cleanse" 24 hours a day through respiration, sweat, liver, and kidneys.
We can help by eating a healthy diet with minimal added sugar and salt. Lots of fresh fruit, vegetables, whole grain foods, beans, peas, and brown rice keep a system as healthy as it can be.
Minimal alcohol, caffeine, no soda. Read food labels. If you can't pronounce it, don't put it in your body. Colon cleanses actually flush out the beneficial bacteria and enzymes in the digestive system.
Spend your money in the produce department instead of giving it away.
Good luck.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment