Saturday, December 1, 2012

Where can I find good resources on diabetes in the immigrant Latino culture?

Q. I am doing a research paper on finding out the causes and solutions to the problems but I only found two sites including the Kaiser site that have any relevent information. I need anything that has solid statistics and objective viewpoints(or at least close to it) on the subject. Thanks!

A. Besides google, you can check out the websites of the major insulin manufacturers. Novo-nordisk, Bayer, Eli Lily,Takeda and others have information for health care providers and have done studies in relation to their products. You can also look into medical journals like JAMA and Lancet for relevant papers and articles. Hope that helps.


Where can I find information on vegetarianism?
Q. I need to find UN-BIASED information on not eating meat. My wife wants our family to stop eating meat because of all the "hormones and stuff" they put in animals. I need to find a website or something that will give me just the facts, not opinions.
I am not looking for information on how animals are treated or affected by the hormones. I am looking for information on how the growth hormones or supplements would affect my family. Like if the hormones have been linked to health problems in PEOPLE.

A. I hear you loud and clear, my man.

This source, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7889111?dopt=Abstract , has a lot of information about various experiments. Most of them I've seen were from Google searches about the human body, so this isn't an animal-friendly site or anything (hell, they did the tests ON the animals). Anyway, the growth hormone experiment is done on two groups of rats (Line 1 has added GH, Line 2 doesn't). The Line 1 rats start puberty earlier, and also are heavier than their littermates. A similar trend was shown in England in a news article that I can't seem to find.


Me, I went vegan because I read some information regarding an incurable condition I got in the Marine Corps. I didn't want to take sedatives or muscle relaxants all my life (those are my only options), so when I found this information, gladly jumped on it. The reason that a raw vegan diet can help is as follows:
1. Raw fruits/veggies contain enzymes that can aid digestion, but other things as well. For example, the protein-digesting enzyme called "bromelain" helps reduce inflammation.
2. Meat products are "acid ash producing foods," which means that the by-product of eating them is that it moves your pH to be more acidic. Your body's pH likes to be alkaline. You won't be immune to everything, but it is known and studied that things like inflammation, diabetes, and even cancer flourish in an acidic environment, so having an alkaline environment can help prevent it. It's like how you can get lung cancer, but you're much more prone to it if you smoke. Plants produce alkaline ash, which is what makes them better for you. If you choose to eat meats, ensure that you consume wild game and farm-raised. Animals that aren't subjected to the stress (pumps foul-tasting adrenaline into the meat), hormones, and antibiotics produce 16-20 times less acid ash than animals that are subjected to those things.

The source for this information comes from the book "Food that Helps Win the Battle Against Fibromyalgia: Ease Everyday Pain and Fight Fatigue" by Deirdre Rawlings N.D. Ph. D.


Hope this helps.


What are the chances of my 2 year old daughter to develop type 1 diabetes?
Q. Both my husband and sister in law have type 1 diabetes. My husband develop type 1 diabetes when he was 5 years old, but his identical twin did not. His younger sister developed type 1 diabetes when she was 12 years old.

A. If a father has type 1, the child has a 1 in 17 chance of developing diabetes.
A child has a 1 in 25 chance of developing diabetes if the mother has type 1 and gave birth before the age of 25. Chances are 1 in 100 if the child was born after the mother was 25.
A child has a 1 in 7 chance of developing diabetes if the father has type 2 diabetes and was diagnosed befor the age of 50, chances are 1 in 13 if the father was diagnosed after the age of 50.
If both parents have type 2 diabetes, a child has a 1 in 2 chance of developing the disease.
This is just a tid bit of information that I got out of one of my diabetes magazines recently


Can anyone fine me some realy good information about Diabetes?
Q. and if there is other kinds of diabetes that would work to (school project)

A. www.diabetes. org

This is the website for the American Diabetes Association...a wealth of information. Good luck.

EMT





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment