Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Where can I find arguments against an approaching Type 1 diabetes cure?

Q. I'm researching the possibility of cure for Type 1 diabetes, and my argument is that there will be a cure in the near future, if funding improves and if beta cell and immune research continues. This is for my AP research paper, and no, I'm not making others write it. Suprisingly, I can't find a sufficient article arguing that a diabetes cure WON'T come soon, so i'm simply asking, does anyone know where I can find one? Any tips or sites are helpful, thank you!

A. ...as much as I dislike the fact that you are asking yahoo-answers for an AP Essay....I'll help you, my approach would be through stem-cell, maybe grow a healthy pancreas and have a transplant it in, and irradiate your immune system and transplant bone marrow


What affect could dislocating a shoulder have on a person with type 1 diabetes?
Q. My friend and I are trying to role play a scene and her character (a detective with diabetes) just dislocated his shoulder. My character is a doctor and I wanted my response to be as medically accurate as possible. Could someone who knows more about diabetes tell me how a trauma like this might affect a person with type 1 diabetes?

A. The only possible connection between injury and type 1 diabetes is that a significant injury may mildly elevate glucose over a short period of time. The injury in and of itself will not alter long-term diabetic control. Opioids - to treat pain - do not affect blood glucose. It is very rare for a dislocated shoulder to become infected and in fact in the absence of penetration through the skin I am not aware of a single case. Your response as a physician would be very straight-forward and not really affected by this person's type 1 diabetes. You must obtain adequate pain control in order to 'reduce' the shoulder which means to move it back into place. After this the pain should virtually disappear although a few days of anti-inflammatory non-steroidal pain medications may be advised. May the muse of theater make you a master thespian. I wish you the very best of health and in all things may God bless.


How to lose weight with type ONE diabetes and hypothyroidism?
Q. Ive been trying extremely hard to lose weight but the scale reads the same number. I have type ONE( not adult on set diabetes you get from poor lifestyle) and hypothyroidism which I think is the problem. I'm so tired of bring in twice the effort as a normal person and not seeing ANYTHING change(not a decimal number, nothing) so does anyone out there know of a diet and exercise plan or trick to help a person with my glitches lose weight? Thanks for the answers!

A. Hey there! I am in the same boat as you. I also have hypothyroidism and type ONE. While weight loss has been excruciatingly hard, I can offer some tips that I have been doing that have helped me slowly but surely get on the fast track to losing some weight.

1. Take a multivitamin: Our bodies are always fighting off so much. If you take a vitamin, you will ensure that your body will be getting the vitamins and minerals it needs to fight off infection and allow your body MORE energy to do other things, such as losing weight. Look for multivitamins that promote a health heart and strong bones, as well as a good immune system.

2. Count your calories: This is hard, but when there is a will, there is a way. Ever look on the nutrition facts of food and note the servings? Follow that! Record your total calories, fat, sodium, etc. Keep a journal and do this. I started out by just recording what I ate in a normal day, evaluating it (weaknesses: eat too big portions, not enough meat, too much bread/sugar, etc) and then seeing what I can do to improve it. Try to keep your calories to about 2,300 per day, and then whittle it down. I'm currently at 2,245 at the most per day, and I'm noting a change in my energy.

3. EXERCISE: Speaking of energy, hypothyroidism simply kills your metabolism with an AK-47. :( RIght here, you just need a little more willpower. Think of living longer. At least that's what I do. Don't use elevators: instead, use the stairs. Walk a little more than you need to. Have Nintendo Wii? Do WiiFit. It works out muscles you never thought you could work out! Walk around your neighborhood every day. Go to a track at a school and walk the curves and jog the straights for thirty minutes to an hour. I totally understand taht your energy will deter you from doing this, but even a little effort should help.

4. Stay happy! SOmething you love to do that doesn't compromise your health or well being? Indulge in it! I like to draw and sew among other things. If you keep your feelings and personality up, then you can do all i have listed above and more.

5. Go to sleep on time. Yes this is very important. Your sleep helps regulate SO much.

While ALL are important, the integral plan is to choose a method and STICK WITH IT! Watch your portions, and work out every day for at least thirty minutes. Take that vitamin, get some sleep, and remember to do something you enjoy.

From one hypobetes dealer to another, I HAVE FAITH IN YOU!

And a last note: I've been doing this very method for the past week and a half, and I lost four pounds. Just keep going, and with a little patience you'll get there!


What is the difference between diabetes insipidus and diabetes mellitus?
Q. i've experienced both extreme thirst and frequent urination, which i know are the symptoms of both insipidus and mellitus. I went to the doctor and he said that i could have either one of those diseases. Im going to do a blood test tomorrow and i was wondering if you guys can give me a few facts on both of these conditions. which condition is more serious? Thanks!

A. DI should not be confused with diabetes mellitus (DM), which results from insulin deficiency or resistance leading to high blood glucose, also called blood sugar. DI and DM are unrelated, although they can have similar signs and symptoms, like excessive thirst and excessive urination.

DM is far more common than DI and receives more news coverage. DM has two main forms, type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. DI is a different form of illness altogether.

Diabetes insipidus (DI) is a rare disease that causes frequent urination and excessive thirst.
DI is not related to diabetes mellitus (DM).
Central DI is caused by damage to the pituitary gland and is treated with a synthetic hormone called desmopressin, which prevents water excretion.
Nephrogenic DI is caused by drugs or kidney disease and is treated with hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ), indomethacin, or a combination of HCTZ and amiloride.
Scientists have not yet discovered an effective treatment for dipsogenic DI, which is caused by a defect in the thirst mechanism.
Most forms of gestational DI can be treated with desmopressin.
A doctor must determine which type of DI is involved before proper treatment can begin with a water deprivation test, urine test, and/or MRI of the brain (magnetic imaging).

They are both serious conditions that need medical attention. DI can result from a genetic condition in birth that affected the kidneys or a pituitary condition, etc. Always stay hydrated, avoid dehydration with the DI.

Hope this helps.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment