Friday, December 7, 2012

Is numbness and that pinching needle feeling like your foot is falling asleep in your legs, a sign of diabetes?

Q. Everytime I put my legs up on my couch or I sit indian style, my feet and bottom part of my legs (like the front of my calves) start getting that tingly feeling and numb feeling, and the feeling gets so strong I have to move into a different position..this has been going on for 6 months now...Should I be worried? IS this an early sign of diabetes?

A. It could be very well a sign of diabetes. It can also be a number of other major problems.

GO! see your doctor for complete physical exam with blood draws. If it is all clear, go see a podiatrist to see why you are not having good circulation in your feet and legs.

For others who think this is not a symptom: I was having these exact problems when I was diagnosed. That was why I went to the doctor!!!


Can upper abdominal pain be a sign of diabetes?
Q. I've had upper abdominal pain, and my doc diagnosed me as having a mild case of pancreatitis (no tests were done). I've had a numbness on and off in my left thigh and left arm, back pain on the same side. I also have a "floater" in my vision sometimes. I think I could have diabetes (my brother has it who is 37, I'm 30). Does anyone think these are all signs of diabetes?

A. Where is the pain exactly in your upper abdomen?

I'm not saying that no tests need to be done, but pancreatitis is very distinct in where the pain is, and what it feels like...

It could be a sign of diabetes, go get a test kit and find out... they're only like 15 bucks from rite aid, get a cheap one... they all tell you the same thing...

I'm diabetic, from having pancreatitis... And when you're having an onset of pancreatitis, it's not uncommon to have a fluctuation in your blood sugar... Your pancreas is what creates your insulin...

I had half of my pancreas removed, because of tissue necrosis, worst pain ever... Be glad you have a mild case... It's interesting that your doc didn't admit you to the hospital and stop any intake, of anything.... Pancreatitis can easily get worse.... What i'd recommend (i'm not a doctor, but i almost died from it, and i'm in nursing school), is not to eat for a few days... Thats what they'd normally do in the hospital, that and give you pain meds...

I've never seen anyone admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis, that they didn't starve for a few days. Of course, they usually have IV Nutrition... But hey... I've done it to myself during small bouts when I didn't have the time to sit in the hospital for a few days...

Any food stimulates the pancreas to create enzymes... Stimulation of an already inflamed (-itis) pancreas (pancreat/o-) can make it worse... Think about it, would you jump on a broken leg?


As for the diabetes... You'll know when you have it, get a test monitor, and check your glucose readings (AFTER you're done with pancreatitis, you'll get false readings if your pancreas is out of whack)... You'll know, the first major sign is urinating like, every 5 min... seriously, every 5 min...

I know why you're probably paranoid about numbness... Because diabetics are known for loss of sensation in their extremities.. But, you're only 30, and honestly... I doubt you'd be experiencing any of that by now, but... I guess it's possible... You wouldn't have been looked over for that long, for you to be having numbness...


what are the warning signs for diabetes?
Q. ive had excessive thirst, ive been peeing alot like once every hour, ive had dry skin that that keeps coming back, ive got extreme tiredness. i was just wandering what all the warning signs for diabetes are in women, im 16 btw. and also if you think i should get checked as my granny had diabetes.

A. Hi, Many of the signs of Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes are similar. In both, there is too much glucose in the blood and not enough in the cells of your body. High glucose levels in Type I are due to a lack of insulin because the insulin producing cells have been destroyed. Type 2 diabetes occurs when the body's cells become resistant to insulin that is being produced. Either way, your cells aren't getting the glucose that they need, and your body lets you know by giving you these signs and symptoms.

Top Warning Signs:

1. Frequent times urination

2. Unquenchable Thirst

3. Losing Weight Without Trying

4. Weakness and Fatigue

5. Tingling or Numbness in Your Hands, Legs or Feet

6. Other Signs and Symptoms That Can Occur:

Blurred vision, skin that is dry or itchy, frequent infections or cuts and bruises that take a long time to heal are also signs that something is amiss. Again, when these signs are associated with diabetes, they are the result of high glucose levels in the body. If you notice any of the above signs, schedule an appointment with your doctor. He or she will be able to tell you if you have reason to be concerned about a diagnosis of diabetes.


What are some early signs of diabetes?
Q. Today I was watching T.V and i saw this girl with this mark on the back of her neck. The doctor said its a early sign of diabetes. I have a similar mark on my arm. I was wondering what are some early signs of diabetes and how I can maybe check and see if I have it without letting my parents know?
Any advice on checking if I have it behind my parents back will help a lot.

A. The spot you're most likely talking about is called acanthosis nigricans. It can be caused by various things, but it is commonly seen in obese individuals. If you're overweight, have noticed that you've been peeing a lot and are always thirsty, feeling tired, eating more than normal, you could be developing type 2 diabetes. The problem is you could also be completely symptom free. You need to get a fasting blood glucose. You can go to a doctor and they won't tell your parents if you tell them not to. Or you could have a diabetic friend use their machine to check your blood sugar. The problem is that if you are diabetic you need to tell your parents, so you really need to tell your parents now so they can help you out. It's always best to be honest.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment