Sunday, December 2, 2012

if someone has diabetes 2 how do they check kidney function?

Q. if someone has diabetes 2 how do they check kidney function to make sure the kidneys are staying healthy and do they do that with diabetes 2 paitience from time to time? check kidney function ... making sure kidneys arent failing..etc.

A. The most common screening done for kidney function in diabetics is a urinalysis. The first sign of kidney disease from diabetes is often small amounts of protein being spilled in the urine. Your doctor should check your urine on a regular basis to check for protein as kidney failure is one of the biggest complications of diabetes.


How much of a risk do I have of getting diabetes type 2?
Q. Both my mother's parents have diabetes type 2 as well as my father's father. And now my father just recently found out that he has diabetes type 2 too.
I am really worried that I will diabetes in the future. Can anyone calculate how much of a risk I have of getting it?

A. There is no crystal ball, no magic mirror, that is going to give you the answers you want.

The only thing I can help you with is to dispel some misconceptions and give you a picture of risk factors.

First of all there are two main types of diabetes. You are referring to Type 2. But there is also Type 1 diabetes, which is not linked with weight. Type 1 is caused by your body attacking the cells in the pancreas. It can happen to anybody, anytime, and it's just sheer bad luck. But you can live a totally normal life with Type 1 diabetes. I know I do!

Type 2 diabetes is the more common kind of diabetes. Type 2 is linked with weight. But it is not caused by being overweight. If it were, then all the overweight people in the world would have Type 2, when in fact, only 1/3 of overweight people are diabetic. Why these 1/3? Because they have the genes for it. Probably the strongest risk factor for Type 2 is genes. That means you could be skinny, eat healthy and exercise a lot, and still get Type 2 diabetes, simply because you had the genes for it. Two of the most famous Type 2 diabetics in the world belong to this category. They are Olympic gold medallist Sir Steve Redgrave and Hollywood actress Halle Berry.

For some people, keeping a normal weight and exercising a lot can help delay Type 2. For others, their genes win out. I mean, look at Halle Berry! She got Type 2 diabetes in her early 20s. Do you think she was overweight, or ate shitty, or never went to the gym? Of course not! That's what having diabetes genes does to you.

Of course, you don't know until it's too late whether you have diabetes genes or not. So it would make sense to keep to a healthy weight and get regular exercise. That's good for everybody, not just diabetics. And if that helps prevent diabetes, then that's good. But if it doesn't, then you learn that you just got unlucky in the genetic lottery, and you learn how to control the disease and you just get on with the rest of your life.


Can doctors tell diabetes by blood pressure tests?
Q. I'm not sure whether or not I have diabetes. I'm 18 and it doesn't seem to run in the family, i'm not overweight and I am pretty active but I do eat bad/drink sugary drinks. I have blurry vision, frequent urination and tingling feet. It seems like all the symptoms of diabetes 2. I went to the doctor and the hospital and got the blood pressure test where they put the thing around your arm and it squeezes. If I had diabetes though wouldn't I have high blood pressure and wouldn't they of told me?

A. No. I was just diagnosed with Type II and my blood pressure is 100/65. My husband's family are all thin and many of them are diabetic. Go to the doctor and ask them about your symptoms. It's better to take care of this now, especially since you're so young.


What is my chance of getting diabetes?
Q. I am 15 slim and healthy. My parents do not have diabetes. But my grandparents has got diabetes. 2 of them has type 2 but 1 of them has type1.

A. While genetics play in role in type 1, it is not hereditary.

Your lifestyle and diet play no role in developing type 1 (so don't believe answers to the contrary).

Type 2 is a totally different thing.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment