Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How can I pass ketones when my blood sugar is normal?

Q. Because of a strong family history of both types of diabetes I test my blood and urine often. Lately I've been passing ketones in my urine but my blood glucose is normal. How is this possible, especially when I've been eating practically nothing. The stress of dealing with my mother(she has a type of dementia that makes people violent) has killed my appetite.

A. Ketones can be present in your urine for a number of reasons - dehydration, a low-carbohydrate diet, starvation, and diabetic ketoacidosis (resulting from high blood sugar plus very low/nonexistent insulin production). Because your blood glucose levels are normal, you're very likely not in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis. You're not on a low-carbohydrate diet, so that's not the reason, either. I imagine that it's simply because you're not eating enough / dehydrated.

I should amend what I just said. Every person makes ketone bodies, but they become more detectable in the urine when you're starving/fasting, dehydrated, on a low-carbohydrate diet or in diabetic ketoacidosis.

Being in ketosis is not dangerous in itself, whereas diabetic ketoacidosis is. Some people confuse the two or think that because ketones are one symptom of DKA that ketones are always harmful. I have normal blood sugar and I have had ketones in my urine now at every doctor's visit for two years. I eat <30 grams of carbohydrates a day and my body is burning fat rather than glucose for most of my energy. I'm fine.

Finally, the concentration of ketones in your urine is probably low. Here's a short explanation: On a normal diet rich in carbohydrates, the average ketone body concentration is .01 mmol/dL. In ketosis, it's .02. After fasting, it's 1-2. After exercise, it's up to 2. After fasting a week, it's 5. On a ketogenic diet, it's 5-6. After fasting 3-4 weeks, it's 6-8. In ketoacidosis, it's 8+. In diabetic ketoacidosis, it's up to 25. (Johnny Bowden, 'Living Low Carb')


How is it possible to have ketones with normal blood glucose levels?
Q. I thought for diabetics to maintain good blood sugar levels, they take the right amount of insulin and exercise and stick with a good diet plan.

However, I thought ketones are an indication of not enough insulin. So how is it possible to have normal blood glucose levels and still have ketones?

I think someone once told me that even if you have good blood sugars, you can have ketones because you aren't drinking enough water, but I'm not sure if that's accurate. Is there any other reason?

A. you can get ketones in the body with normal glucose levels if you are sick


What does it mean to have ketones in urine?
Q. I had my urine tested, and there's ketones in it? But what does it mean to have ketones in your urine?

I've also got horrible stomach pain, but they think that may be endimetriosis if that makes a difference?

A. Abnormal ketones values may indicative of

Diabetic ketoacidosis
Insulin overdose
Insufficient food intake
Nausea and vomiting
Starvation
Strict dieting
Severe stress
Severe fever due to infection


Where can I find the best raspberry ketones supplement?
Q. I've been hearing a lot about raspberry ketones lately, Dr Oz said on his show that they worked very well for losing weight. Does anyone know what the best brand is?

A. I have tried a few but personally I found that I have had the best results with Raspberry Ketone Burn. It�s affordable and it has 500mg of concentrated raspberry ketones per capsule. The other two brands I tried were Raspberry Ketone Lean by MaritzMayer and Raspberry ketone Plus. I wasn't too happy with the results from those two, they have a lot of fillers and very little actual raspberry ketone in them, which might be why they don't work very well. However with the Raspberry Ketone Burn I have been able to lose 9 pounds in two weeks so far, so I'm impressed. Definitely check it out if you're looking for a quality formula. Hope I answered your question.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment