Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Do people with Type 2 diabetes have too much or to little or insulin?

Q. Type 2 diabetes is when you have too much sugar.

A. Type 1 Diabetes is:

Classed as autoimmune usually diagnosed in children and young adults
where the pancreas is not producing enough insulin to encourage needed energy into cells


Type 2 Diabetes is:

Usually but not always, diagnosed in mature people
where the pancreas is usually making more than enough insulin but the cells are resisting its efforts to let energy pass through their membranes.

Hope this helps.


What are some risk factors for type 1 and type 2 diabetes?
Q. What are some risk factors for type 1 and type 2 diabetes? What went wrong with the insulin production and how does that affect the body�s ability to fuel itself with blood sugar? This is a bit confusing to me so I would appreciate any help. Thank you.

A. Type 1: In majority of cases, the causes is unknown (idiopathic diabetes). In other cases, immune disorders can cause type 1 diabetes. Factors that precipitate the diabetes onset include certain bacteria, viruses and some food chemical toxins. Other factors include: family history; ethnicity (non-Hispanic population such as Americans, Caucasians); auto-immune disorder (celiac or thyroid diseases); when your mom has stopped breastfeeding you in the first three months; being a men.

In this case your body recognizes its cells as "stranger" and begins to fight them. Therefore, beta cells of pancreas are destroyed and cannot produce anymore insulin.

Type 2: Risk factors are divided in a) those you can control (weight; diet; alcohol intake; smoking; stress; malnutrition), and b) those you can't control (family history; age; being part of high-risk population).

In this case, beta cells of pancreas can still produce insulin; however for the above-mentioned factors, this insulin is not effective in the periphery (muscle or fat cells).

In both cases (type 1 and 2 diabetes); what we have inherited in our genes is a major factor.


Is there a difference in dietary requirements between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes sufferers?
Q. There seem to be cookbooks that are specific to Type 2 diabetes. Does this mean there's a difference in the kind of diet that Type 1 and Type 2 sufferers need to follow?

A. There is a lot of difference between the diet of all diabetics.

We have different tolerances to certain carb / protein / fat combo's.

Type 2's can vary so much. Some people can control it with a very strict diet, others can have a less strict one with tablets.

Type 1's can have a lot less of a strict diet, we learn to adjust our insulin to our carbs, just like a normal pancreas would work.
Insulin is given either via injections or a pump.

I've been type 1 since i was 9. I have very good control, and i self-medicate, like most type 1's learn to.
I can eat mostly anything, apart from the obvious, like a load of sweets, 3 pizza's etc.

Any 'specific' cookbooks are usually rubbish.
Type 2 diabetics can vary a huge amount with their medications, their dietary requirements.
There is no 'diet' that works for everyone.


How do I stop being so angry with people who have type 2 diabetes?
Q. I have had type 1 diabetes for over 25 years. I keep struggling with being angry at people who have type 2 diabetes because I feel that they only have it because of their lifestyle and it makes me angry. I keep thinking that if all I had to do is eat better and lose some weight to possibly not have this disease anymore I would do it. Can you give me some words that might help me to stop being so angry with people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. thanks.

A. Type 2 diabetes can't be cured with weight loss. Once you have it, you have it. Diet managing diabetes is not the same as diet curing diabetes.

Be thankful that you don't have the type of diabetes that makes people judge you before they even meet you. I have the type of diabetes that unfortunately has a moral connotation, as though I deserved this, did this to myself. Yeah, clearly the 17,000 relatives I have with Type 2 diabetes couldn't have been a factor, right? I'm just a bad person and if I weren't such a fat, lazy, and worthless human being, I wouldn't be diabetic anymore, right?





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment