Thursday, December 6, 2012

Any of you fail the first Gestational Diabetes test but pass the second?

Q. So I'm 29 weeks and was informed that I failed my first Gestational Diabetes test (the one where you don't have to fast). My level was 139. Now I have to do the 3 hour test and I was just wondering if there was anyone who failed the first test but passed the second? And what were your levels, if you remember?

Thanks so much!

A. Yes, I failed the first test with a result in the 170s and I passed the second test.


Do You Think Diabetes Tests And Wheel Chairs Billed To Medicare Are Ripping Off The System?
Q. You see the ads on TV all the time, "free" diabetes tests and "free" wheel chairs. Free IF you are on Medicare. Do you think these advertisers are ripping off the system? Generating demand that wouldn't exist without their ads, or generating demand so they can overcharge the system? Nothing is free. Money that gets paid for a wheel chair is not available to pay for an operation. If its needed, by all means it should be covered, but it seems wrong to be advertising these devices to create demand. Your thoughts?

A. Well there shouldn't be commercial companies promoting the distribution of social services for a profit but likewise, many people don't know the services that are available to them. I don't think companies should be advertising on TV and be the middle man in government services but I do think the government needs to get better at outreach programs to reach those in need of help.


do all pregnant woman have to take a gestational diabetes test?
Q. i have to make an appointment for a gestational diabetes test soon. i am thinking about not making the appointment because i don't want any sugar in my body. i do not consume any sugar whatsoever. even when i wasn't pregnant i never had sugar. i hate candy i hate soda i hate all foods that have sugar. so i am wondering is if i have to make the appointment? i am not willing to put sugar in my body against my will.

A. No one has to take any medical test that they do not want to.

I strongly suggest you discuss your concerns with your Dr or midwife before you decide. The drink they give you is not a cane-sugar drink, but a glucose syrup. (The same glucose found in grapes, etc, according to Wiki). I don't know if that makes a difference to you in your diet?

Gestational Diabetes doesn't just put your baby at risk of being born early, but it can also lead to your baby being unable to regulate his or her own blood sugar levels at birth, and even under-developed lungs. Even if you eat a perfect diet, you can still be at risk, for no other reason than the hormones produced by the placenta can keep your body from using insulin properly. So even if you are not eating sugars, your baby is getting the sugars produced by your body when you eat grains, fruit and milk. This test is the only way I know of to see if that is happening.

Now that I have written that...I wonder if you can just test your blood sugar levels for a few weeks? If you do not have diabetes, the supplies won't be covered (the strips cost about a buck a piece in Ontario). And you would have to test 7 times a day, most likely.

Again, please, please discuss your concerns with your health care provider. They may have other options or just a lot more info for you to help you decide.


When I get a diabetes test, should I eat sugar before?
Q. I'm getting a diabetes test tomorrow and I'm wondering if I should eat something sugary before or not. I eat healthy with a diet low in sugar so I'm not sure if I should eat something with sugar so it can how high blood sugar. Thanks

A. An initial blood sugar test will check your "normal" blood sugar level, then stress your system with a high-sugar substance and recheck your blood sugar to see how your body handles it. Just eat the way you normally would unless your doctor has told you to fast.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment