Thursday, December 6, 2012

Why are some pediatricians so clueless when it comes to breastfeeding?

Q. My baby's doctor is actually very supportive of breastfeeding, but I hear horrible, and sometimes ridiculous things from other moms. Like my cousin whose doctor told her that her milk wouldn't be any good for the baby after four months. So she stopped nursing all her kids at four months old. And my friend, who says after a year the milk turns to water, and it's not healthy or appropriate for the baby to be breastfed past a year, and it might jeopardize her health, physically and emotionally. And of course if a woman breastfeeds past a year, and in my cousin's case past 4months, her teeth will fall out, and her bones will become brittle.
How come their information is so wrong? Have you had such experiences?
I was wondering who was giving thumbs down to all these great answers, and then I read your answer finance expert. My question wasn't wether you think breastfeeding is good or bad, so I don't know which question you were reading!! Maybe you should stick to financing. :)
Financial expert, I have no problem with you disagreeing with my views. I 've done my research and I know what 's good for my baby.
I have a problem with you wasting my time, insulting people, and expressing your oppinion when no one asked for it. If you have anything to say about pediatricians and their knowledge on breastfeeding, please go ahead and answer. Otherwise your answer has no place here. Honestly, I don't know why you're so angry at breastfeeding mothers...

A. The formula companies have systematic ways that they attempt to sabotage women's efforts at breastfeeding, including perpetuating incorrect information like:

- breastfeeding is too much work and too time-consuming (as opposed to properly mixing formula and warming bottles, which is a total snap, especially in the middle of the night)
- women want their bodies back (neglecting to mention that breastfeeding helps with postpartum weight loss)
- modern formula is just like breastmilk and confers the same health benefits (except that formula does not have the immune protecting factors and never will)
- the nasty chemicals that you consume are going to your baby (not at all like the chemicals you use to manufacture the formula, or that are used on the soybeans or in the cows that form the basis of your formula)

And to top it off, these formula companies trot this junk out into clinics, doctors' offices, and hospitals. They give away free samples, knowing that a baby who drinks from a bottle before a breast has a hard time then starting on a breast. If you get pregnant and sign up for anything they will send it to you free along with tons of coupons. They have care packages for new mothers that are specially designed to be given away at the hospital.

And naturally the doctors just don't want to deal. They don't know anything about breastfeeding themselves and even if they remember the 2 pages or 15 minutes worth of information they got in medical school, they can't be bothered in the 8 minutes they get with each mother to talk them out of formula feeding, because they are worried about the mother still smoking, or gestational diabetes, or that funny spot on the ultrasound that might be a marker for Down syndrome, or the mother's questions about whether they should put earphones to their belly to make their baby smart. Some doctors consider it a right of the mother to make her own decision, which is ludicrous because they would never say the same thing about similar risks.

I think the answer is that the FDA needs to put warning labels on cans of formula outlining that formula feeding instead of breastfeeding increases the risks of all kinds of things. They wouldn't have hardly enough room on the can to outline it all. Unfortunately, this will never happen because the formula companies line the pockets of Congress and doctors all over this country.

Grassroots, honey. Join La Leche League. Print out flyers and give them to your doctor to put in your their waiting room. Volunteer to educate pregnant women about breastfeeding, even if it's not for their first baby. Just keep up the good fight.


What are the advantages for taking Biotin Daily ?
Q. Im taking Biotin for the my only purpose, hair growth.
But id like to know if by taking this can affect weight lose ?
Im 15 and im a type one diabetic also. Can this help with my diabetes ?

A. Biotin is used for preventing and treating biotin deficiency associated with pregnancy, long-term tube feeding, malnutrition, and rapid weight loss. It is also used orally for hair loss, brittle nails, skin rash in infants (seborrheic dermatitis), diabetes, and mild depression.


http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/313.html


How fast should blood sugars drop?
Q. My sugars seem to drop really fast for no reason. I've been labelled as a brittle diabetic, but I was just wondering how fast sugars would normally drop. I've gone from 397 to 120 in under an hour, no medications, as well as 482 to 118 in the same amount of time. How fast should sugars drop in about an hour, with no medications, and assuming there's nothing to eat or drink?

A. Brittle diabetes means that your diabetes is now all about your body, not about the diabetes. That's why your numbers drop the way they do.

No one here can tell how fast blood sugars can drop without exercising, eating or medications, the same thing happens to my mother, all that can be done is to test the blood sugar prior to a meal and adjust the insulin dosage accordingly.


Anyone, are you the Mom of a child with "Severe Brittle Diabetes Type 1" IF so, do you work?
Q. My 8 year old son has Type 1, since he was diagnosed I have not worked, I spend most my time caring for him. Even while he is at school I'm in contact with his private Nurse, so far this year he has missed two weeks of school. His Diabetes is very severe and brittle. I'm wondering If I'll ever be able to be a working Mom again....

A. My daughter is 3 and she has type 1 too. No one has said "brittle diabetes" to me, and I'm not sure exactly what qualifies, but I do know my daughter's blood sugars fluctuate wildly some days. I am constantly having to check her blood sugars, even at night.

I just asked a question yesterday in the parenting forum about jobs where you can take your child to work with you. Many people suggested a day care center ... maybe that could be an option for you too. You could get a part time job there and take your child to work with you. I don't know if they'd be less likely to let you if your child is diabetic, but I plan on looking into it so I can let you know.

One question ... have you had your child checked for allergies? Some of my daughter's blood sugar fluctuations have been solved by her taking allergy medicine. Before that she would be fine for a day or two, and then suddenly I'd check her when she should be in range, and she'd be 500+ And it was her allergies. It's unbelievable that they would effect her that much, but that's what it was.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment