Tuesday, December 4, 2012

what makes blood sugar drop so drastically during the day when I am getting insulin shots?

Q. I tend to get all sweaty and my blood sugar shows to be in the 60's after some juice it goes up to 103. It has been doing this alot lately and I am wondering why this is happening.

A. If your blood sugar keeps going that low, there are two possibilities. You may not be eating right (skipping meals), or you are taking too much insulin. Consult your doctor on what you need to do.


How to prevent blood sugar from getting too low in the middle of the night?
Q. If I go to bed and my blood sugar is 180, it will drop to 50-60 usually around 4am. (Lets say I go to bed around midnight) I dont know what to do about this. I take lantus, the 24 hr insulin at night. Its not like I want to pig out and make it higher before going to bed to prevent this so what can I do?

A. I agree with the first person.

Also, trying setting a clock every night for a week or so to wake up around 2 or 3. Check your blood sugar, so you can get a pattern for what's going on that time of the morning, and report that to your dr. I wouldn't wait as late as 4, because you already know that's when it's dropping.

I wonder if a small high protein snack might help you, around 11 pm perhaps. I do think you probably need some changes in insulin.


How does blood sugar hinder the immune system?
Q. How does blood sugar hinder the immune system?

I hear alot that it does but no-one ever explains the mechanics behind this.

Any well informed biologist please help me.

Thanks.

A. As I understand it, high blood sugar inhibits the ability of neutrophils to attach to blood vessel walls and pass through to act at sites of infection or inflammation. This is called chemotaxis and is a complex process involving many chemical pathways and multiple white blood cell and other cell lines. I have not heard a convincing molecular mechanism, but it tends to occur even at blood sugar levels less than 200. This is why people with infections need their blood sugar controlled well in the hospital or at home.

Another mechanism takes longer to develop and involves long-term damage to microscopic and larger blood vessels, which decreases blood flow to the extremities. Damage to nerves makes people unaware of injuries, especially to the feet and legs, while damage to blood vessels themselves lead to the body's inability to deliver white blood cells to the area of infection and to clear waste products. This is why diabetics should always check their feet for cuts, calluses, and ulcers.


How could an individual have high blood sugar levels and also be in a state of ketosis?
Q. How could an individual have high blood sugar levels and also be in a state of ketosis? How/why could this occur?

A. High blood sugar is a result of not getting enough insulin. The longer you go without enough insulin, the higher your blood sugar gets, until you go into ketoacidosis.

Is this what you mean or are you referring to a low carb diet ketosis?

If you are diabetic, you could end up having both ketones in your urine and high blood sugar at the same time. When you don't have enough insulin, or your body can use it properly, you end up burning fat instead of sugar. The sugar builds up in your bloodstream, and so do the ketones, so you produce ketones in your urine sample at the same time as you have high blood sugar.

Get tested for diabetes if you haven't already done so. Ask for an HbA1c test and an Glucose Tolerance Test.

Good luck!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment