Monday, December 3, 2012

What is the normal variability for a blood glucose meter?

Q. I recently bought a cheap blood glucose meter (the "TrueTrack Smart System" kit) over the internet to check out my blood sugars after a relative was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Since I have no symptoms and am not overweight I was just expecting to be reassured; but I found my 8hr fasting glucose over several days seemed to range from 98 to 124 indicating potential prediabetes. However, this morning I became confused on getting a reading of 144 despite not having eaten anything for over 12 hours. I decided to do several tests in a row and the results were: 144 130 117 111 126 110 104. I made sure my fingers were very clean and dry & of course used new strips & lancets each time. The meter did not come with glucose control solution but does have a test card you can insert in the strip port which then reads "OK". My question is, what is the normal range of reproducibility you can expect in readings from a blood glucose meter, and should I disregard these results and throw it out?

A. The FDA allows home meters to vary up to 20%.

Even the best meters will give a pretty high variation when tested like this.

Also, remember that blood sugar is a moving target, so even seconds later, your level could be different.


At what stage in diabetes does diabetic retinopathy occur?
Q. By this I mean, prediabetes, diabetes type 2, or only if the patient refuses to accept treatment?

Also, my doc said I have slightly high blood sugar. I am only 20 years old and of average weight. Will my blood sugar always be above normal for the rest of my life? What can I do to lower it and get it back to normal?

A. Diabetic retinopathy can occur at anytime and is the result of prolonged high blood sugars. However, 3 days of high blood sugar will NOT make you go blind. I've been diabetic for 21 years now and unfortunately did not take very good care of myself when I was first diagnosed. I am just now starting to see complications from retinopathy though.

The important thing to know about retinopathy is that there may be no symptoms or pain early on. You won't notice any changes in your vision until the disease progresses. It is VERY important to have a dilated eye exam at least once a year. If I'd not had that done I don't know how long it would have been before they'd found mine.

The type of diet to follow to help control slightly elevated blood sugar is really one that anyone wanting to be healthier would follow. Cut back on sugar, sodium and fat/cholesterol content. Drink lots of water and get plenty of exercise. Stop smoking if you are a smoker.

I've attached 2 articles that have some good information in them on retinopathy.

Good luck and I hope this helps!


What to do if i get caught for academic dishonesty at university?
Q. I made a horrific mistake, I am a transfer to UCI and I am currently in a 1 unit pass no pass biology writing course. As of late I have been diagnosed with prediabetes. My father passed few years ago due to diabetes. This has affected my academics. I am currently failing 2 of my other classes, on top of this my mother has been going thru legal problems. We had a 3rd paper to write, and because of stresses with other classes and also with personal problems I had my friend help me with writing my 3rd paper. I had submitted a wrong copy, the copy I had submitted was a rough draft my friend helped me write, whom he had already taken the class last year. I had submitted the rough draft to turnitin.com and it matched 53% plagiarism. It cited the source to my friend's paper who took the class last year. Now, I submitted the paper 2 days ago, and my professor has not contacted me. But, do you think it is wise I meet with her in person and come honest then me waiting for her to see that I have done academic dishonesty? I talked with the TA asking what % is academic dishonesty and she stated 40-50% is considered academic dishonesty. I can provide my professor with my father's death certificate and my lab work results. The reason why I would show my father's death certificate or my lab results is basically for proof. I want to come in with proof to back what I tell her. I figured I would do/show anything possible just to not get expelled (worst case scenario).

Thank you for your time reading this post and helpful responses will be very much appreciated.

A. Personally I would be the first to come clean before you get called in Now with what you have stated I would go and see your tutor the tell her of your personal problems eg what you have stated, There is nothing worse in the world more than personal problems to effect your daily life especially the lost of ones parent and bad health reports from a doctor,

Go in tell the truth on why you fell behind, take the evidence with you but don't try to force the issue that you want to show it, just explain that you have written evidence that you would like to show as evidencs, let them decide if they except what you say and they are willing to see it before judging you,

sorry to here of your lose, Always remember dishonesty never pays, good luck


What is difference between fasting insulin test and glucose test?
Q. My doctor ordered me bloodwork for fasting insulin. How is this different that a glucose tolerance test or a fasting glucose test?

I have not had a period in a long time and get really shaky sometimes like I need sugar. There is diabetes and prediabetes in my family, so he ordered this test. Will the fasting insulin only give him a picture of what is going on with my bloodsugar?

A. A fast insulin level will show how much insulin is in your blood when you have had nothing to eat or drink after 12 midnight( or NPO). A glucose tolerance test is done when you have been NPO since midnight, lab person will give you a glucose loaded drink and then they will draw blood samples according to their policy, every hour or 2 for about 6 hours to look at how your pancreas is making insulin to metabolize the glucose you are given in the drink. A fasting glucose test is done when you again have been NPO since midnight blood will be drawn to measure the sugar or glucose in your blood. All of these tests much be done when nothing ( no food or liquid) has been consumed otherwise it will alter the test. The symptoms you are listed are symptoms of low blood sugar not high. Diabetes is caused by the pancreas not making enough insulin to do the job of metabolizing glucose or sugar which is hyperglycemia, you listed symtpoms of hypoglycemia. Hope I have helped you





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment