Sunday, December 2, 2012

what is the importance of regulating sugar in a diabetics diet?

Q. i dont rlly know how i would explain why regulating sugar in someones diet is important so..how could i explain it?

A. There are two types of diabetes. The first is type I diabetes that occurs when a human is unable to produce insulin. Insulin is always required and it helps to avoid refined carbs, sugars, and oils.

The second is type II diabetes that occurs when cells become resistant to the uptake in sugars. More insulin is often prescribed to help, but this does not help the root cause which is directly related to diet. The Standard American Diet (SAD) contributes to the increasing rates of this disease. Americans eat way too much refined carbohydrates, sugars, oils, and other processed ingredients. Dairy (cheese, milk, ice cream, butter) have a high glycemic index and is also damaging.

A change in lifestyle with more exercise and less refined carbohydrates (processed sugars) is typically very helpful. With type II diabetes, a whole plant based diet and moderate exercise can often reverse and sometimes cure the disease. A physician's supervision is critical.


Is there a diet where an insulin dependent diabetic can lose weight? Say 25lbs or so?
Q. I have had trouble losing any weight no matter the diet or exercises. My Dr just says that insulin makes it hard to lose significant weight.

A. Low GI diets work well for diabetics. I'm assuming you're a guy from your avatar, so you would aim for about 1800 calories/day or a little more if you're very active. Eat smaller amounts 5-6 times a day. Meals should be 2-3 protein servings with 1-2 carb servings; snacks 1 carb + 1 protein. Limit fat to a few servings a day and make sure they are GOOD fats such as olive oil, avocado, or nuts. Eat lots and lots of non-starchy veggies. Only have fruit when you're counting it as a carb.

For your carb servings, use low-glycemic ones where possible - whole wheat bread, brown rice, ww tortillas, ww or high protein pasta, etc. No "white" carbs such as white bread, white rice, sugar.

I lost weight while on insulin - it can be done, but those last 20-25 pounds are very challenging. Try to change up your routine. Try adding more protein to your diet, or exercising a little more. Try a day where you eat more calories followed by a day where you eat fewer. Drink LOTS of water, minimum 64 oz. because water will help metabolize the fat.

Find a good website for support like sparkpeople.com. A good support system is crucial for weight loss because if you're only sticking to it 50% of the time you just won't get results. It takes a lot of micromanaging what you're eating because even being off by a snack or two could be what is keeping those pounds on. It helps to track all your daily meals on a site such as thedailyplate.com or fitday.com.


What are some diet plans for a diabetic with high cholesterol?
Q. I am an uninsured diabetic who just found out that I have high cholesterol as well. Because I have no insurance I see a sliding scale doctor. They pretty much diagnose me, prescribe medication and offer me little to no advice as to what to eat. Can someone offer me some advice on a diet that may work to lower my cholesterol as well as keep my sugar where it needs to be?

A. High LDL, low HDL, and high triglycerides are common in Type 2 diabetics, especially severely insulin resistant Type 2s. I have known individuals diagnosed with Type 2 whose triglycerides were off the charts (1000+).

The best way to lower triglyceride levels is to lower carbohydrates. I dropped mine from 115 to 70 by just cutting out starches and sugars. Most doctors will tell you to limit fat to drop LDL, but my diet is very high in fat (at least 60% of my diet on most days), including saturated fat (yes, butter - lots of butter), and my LDL fell to 81 from the high 120s and my HDL increased 13 points. A traditional diet to improve cholesterol is full of carbohydrates, like oats and low-fat yogurt, low-fat cheese, and milk, but all those foods will raise your blood sugar and that will work against your cholesterol-lowering goals. Dietary fat is really not the enemy and I think a lot of confusion stems from the fact that lipids are known as 'blood fat.' There's this idea comes from equivocating different types of fat, assuming that dietary fat causes blood fat and body fat. I lost about 75 pounds eating more fat, my cholesterol improved by all measures, and my A1c dropped from over 11% to the low 5% range.

So, I would encourage you to cut back on your carbohydrates, especially grains, corn, oats, potatoes, rice, and sugar, even fruit, and to up your protein, healthy fats, including saturated, and non-starchy vegetables.

Exercise can improve HDL and omega-3 fish oil is great for lowering triglycerides, so these are some supplementary moves you can make along with dietary changes to improve cholesterol and trigs.

I'm sorry your doctor sent you home without more info. I, too, was seeing a sliding scale doctor after I was diagnosed and he gave me very few tips. I began panicking, searching the internet for help, and I talked to some great people who told me what to try. I haven't looked back. Low-carb diets are the way to go if you are a Type 2.


What is the diet plan for diabetec patients?
Q. My father is a Diabetic patient and does not follow the
perfect diet and take care for his health.Can you pleease help me out what should be his daily diet and precations he should take.
i.e,every thing about it.

A. You don't mention whether Type 1 or Type II, but I'll assume the latter (adult onset diabetes). I'm that one myself.

You should call his doctor yourself, if he won't - and you should do that before you listen to me. But here's my suggestions:

1) South Beach Diet - it's a best-seller, easily accessible, and just happens to be a great diet plan for diabetics. Forget about the part describing what to do in the first 3 weeks - just go with the general diet plan laid out, and your dad should do well.

2) American Diabetes Association - www.diabetes.org - is a wellstone of information, including diet and nutrition (and exercise!). Use it.

Good luck!





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment