Sunday, December 2, 2012

What activity could I do to entertain and inform my listeners about diabetes?

Q. I am doing a presentation on diabetes and I need to keep my audience entertained and informed.
What activity could I do to make a presentation about diabetes fun. I already have all the information that I need but it just seems boring especially for a bunch of 17-19 year olds. Can anyone help me? My presentation revolves around teen and adult diabetes if that helps.

A. Well..
I have type one diabetes and anyone who knows anyone about the disease (as I'm sure you do) knows it's not something 'fun'.
But of course, you don't want to bore your audience to death.

I cannot really think of any way to make if fun, but don't just throw facts at the audience. Use examples, tell stories, ect. I know what I'm much more interested in a more personal presentation than someone naming stupid statistics.

Wish I could be more help.
Feel free to message me if you need any info.

~Lindsey (:


Can undiagnosed diabetes pose a threat your health in the long run?
Q. I am 17 and am afraid i have diabetes. Im going to see the docters about it asap. Although, i have had the symptons for some time now. What health problems can arise from diabetes not being properly treated?
in the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions about diet change for a diabetic?

A. Diabetes causes Neuropathy -- pain in the arms and legs. But OTHER nerves are also affected, so the Neuropathy ALSO affects the eyes, brain, digestion, heart, and sexual organs.

Diabetes causes high blood pressure and high cholesterol. These, working together, cause heart attacks and strokes. High cholesterol is also associated with Alzheimer's Disease, so Diabetes is linked to ALzheimer's Disease.

Diabetes causes blindness. Diabetes causes a failure for wounds to heal. Unhealed wounds can become infected, leading to amputations.

And the LONGER you are diabetic, the more likely it is that you will have these other diseases.

In fact, diabetes is often NOT diagnosed until the patient complains about vision problems, sexual problems, or has a heat attack or stroke.

Now, ALL of those other disease have other causes, too. So having chest pains does NOT mean that you are diabetic. But it is VERY important to have a simple blood test done once a year to catch diabetes before it become too serious to handle.

Be SURE that you get a complete physical (including blood work) EVERY YEAR, sometime around your birthday. MAke the gift of good health your own birthday gift to yourself! Make SURE that the doctor does the A1C test, a simple test for diabetes. It IS a blood test, and requires a blood sample, but since you are having a yearly physical, the doctor should ALSO be testing liver and kidney functions, so no big deal.

IF the A1C test says that you have diabetes, then you have caught it early, and SIMPLE change in your lifestyle can prevent it from getting worse. However, wait until you have already had a stoke or heart attack, and being diabetic is the least of your problems.


Diabetic Diet:
NO sugars, avoid sweets, candies, desserts, and canned fruit. No canned fruit juices, sports drinks, energy drinks, or colas. Drink ONLY diet colas, and us4e ONLY artificial sweetener.

Low carbohydrates. Avoid starchy food (rice, corn, potatoes, breads, crackers, gravies, and pastas). Eat more fibers (green leafy vegetables), and add some protein (lean meats, like chicken or fish) for more taste and more "satisfaction").

GET MORE EXERCISE. WALK. Use the stairs, play volleyball, Bicycle. Swim.

Keep your weight NORMAL (ask your doctor what normal for you is).


Where can I find arguments against an approaching Type 1 diabetes cure?
Q. I'm researching the possibility of cure for Type 1 diabetes, and my argument is that there will be a cure in the near future, if funding improves and if beta cell and immune research continues. This is for my AP research paper, and no, I'm not making others write it. Suprisingly, I can't find a sufficient article arguing that a diabetes cure WON'T come soon, so i'm simply asking, does anyone know where I can find one? Any tips or sites are helpful, thank you!

A. ...as much as I dislike the fact that you are asking yahoo-answers for an AP Essay....I'll help you, my approach would be through stem-cell, maybe grow a healthy pancreas and have a transplant it in, and irradiate your immune system and transplant bone marrow


What affect could dislocating a shoulder have on a person with type 1 diabetes?
Q. My friend and I are trying to role play a scene and her character (a detective with diabetes) just dislocated his shoulder. My character is a doctor and I wanted my response to be as medically accurate as possible. Could someone who knows more about diabetes tell me how a trauma like this might affect a person with type 1 diabetes?

A. The only possible connection between injury and type 1 diabetes is that a significant injury may mildly elevate glucose over a short period of time. The injury in and of itself will not alter long-term diabetic control. Opioids - to treat pain - do not affect blood glucose. It is very rare for a dislocated shoulder to become infected and in fact in the absence of penetration through the skin I am not aware of a single case. Your response as a physician would be very straight-forward and not really affected by this person's type 1 diabetes. You must obtain adequate pain control in order to 'reduce' the shoulder which means to move it back into place. After this the pain should virtually disappear although a few days of anti-inflammatory non-steroidal pain medications may be advised. May the muse of theater make you a master thespian. I wish you the very best of health and in all things may God bless.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment