Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Questions to those who know about controlling diabetes?

Q. A family member of mine is diabetic. I am not an expert on the type of a diet diabetics should keep to maintain their health, but I do know that sugar and carbs are to be limited. I was wondering, for a type 2 diabetic, how much sugar and carbs is considered "ok" to consume daily without getting complications from doing so? I am concerned about this family member because I often see her chew "sugarless" gum which has sugar additives, and eat things like regular cookies, jam, and add sugar to tea, etc. I'm not sure how much sugar and carbs she should be limiting herself to, but her current diet seems to be way off and I'm worried for her health. When I confronted her about eating the cookies, she told me that she ate a couple and that there can't possibly be a relevant amount of sugar in a few cookies. When it comes to "sugarless" gum, she says that because it says sugarless, then she can eat it - but don't sugar additives also affect diabetes? I would appreciate some advice.

A. Sugarless gum is the least of all her and your worries. Usually 30g is about the limit of what's recommended for carbs at each of 3 meals/day and 2-3 smaller snacks. Two slices of bread is over 30g of carbs for example. I wouldn't worry about the jam so much. Sugar in tea needs to stop immediately. Either use a sugar substitute, or go w/out. I will say this about cookies: I allow myself 1 cookie a day so that I don't eat the entire package. A life of entire deprivation will not work for anyone. Unfortunately, denial is a HUGE component of this disease. So is discipline. Do you know what her sugars are running? If they're much above 130-150, she's completely out of control, and kidding herself. She can and will lose her feet, her health, her teeth and her eyesight from out of control diabetes. I've been diagnosed diabetic for the last 11 1/2 years, and it is believed I was diabetic for at least 6 years before that. I was thirty-two when diagnosed and pregnant w/ my second child. I was NOT overweight at all, and I am trained as a natural foods chef and as a massage therapist. I am told I more closely resemble a late-onset Type I diabetic. It has taken me all that time to get out of denial about my disease. I tried for many years to heal it naturopathically (that is, with diet, exercise and supplements, both vitamins, herbs and homeopathy). Didn't work. I am very, very good about taking my medicine, and usually about taking my blood sugars, when my meter isn't broken. Exercise is the missing component for me, but in my defense, as a working single mother w/ a disabled child w/ no L foot, when exactly am I supposed to be able to fit exercise in??? Back to your relative: What helps/helped me most is to keep reading the diabetic info, visiting the websites, to have family that cares (nags.), and to realize how very, very much I want to keep my feet and eyesight. I can also remember how incredibly sick I was while I was not on my medicine and trying to heal this intractible condition naturopathically. My blood sugars were in the 600-900 range, all day, every day for months. It is amazing my children and I are all still alive and well. By the way, there IS a relevant amount of sugar in a "couple of cookies", so don't let her get away with that rationalization. It's BS. Take her to a website, or buy her a calorie/carb counter and either you keep a log of what she eats or have her do so. It's amazing when we actually take a look at what we're really eating, and tell ourselves the truth about it. On a good note, she can have ALL the veggies and salsa and dill pickles she wants in the world, as well as lean forms of protein. Another good note is that if she follows a diabetic diet very carefully, she should lose weight.

Good luck to the both of you, and many blessings of health and well-being in the years to come! It is good she has someone like you in her life, she'll will need your love and care and support.


Why is a diet high in vegetables and low in fats recommended for diabetics?
Q. I just heard a commercial on the radio and it recommended eating more vegetables and less meat, or leaner meat. I understand that vegetables are important, however why would you want diabetics to eat more carbs? It seems backwards! Plus fats are a good source of energy without any carbs. The only reason I can think of they would recommend this is because most diabetics are also overweight and they are trying to get people to lose weight instead of lower their blood sugar. But why don't they recommend low carb, high protein diets for diabetics?

A. Vegetable have a higher percentage of FIBER, The fiber in your diet can "bind" with SOME of the sugar in the your digestive system, causing it to pass out of the body instead of being digested. Thus, blood sugars are lowered.

The trouble is, many vegetables (and fruits) contain more sugar than they eliminate, meaning that many vegetables (and most fruits) wind up raising blood sugar more than they help reduce it. the BEST vegetables to eat are green leafy vegetables, and the worst are the "sugary" type like carrots, and of course sweet fruits like oranges and watermelons.

Diabetes ALSO causes high triglycerides and high cholesterol. Therefore, the diabetic needs to eat a low-fat diet to prevent the build up of cholesterol and "plaque" in the arteries, arteries which are already damaged by the effects of GLYCATED red blood cells.

By the way, AVOID avocados and guacamole, which are high in fat.

I am not familiar with the ads you speak of, but it may be that they ASSUME that the diabetic MUST be following a carb-limited diet by default. SUGARS must be COMPLETELY eliminated, and other sources of carbs need to be reduced.

If the diabetic is seriously out of control, kidney damage may have already begun. This can be tested (by the doctor) using a blood test called CREATININE. A high Creatinine reading indicates kidney disease.

But, high Creatinine can ALSO be caused by a diet too high in proteins! in the diabetic patient who already has kidney damage, a diet high in protein will further damage the kidneys, leading to early failure and dialysis.

SO -- NO sugar, high fiber, low carbs, low protein -- sounds like a recipe for cardboard!

The secrete for a diabetic diet is to ELIMINATE sources of sugars, and eat LESS of everything else! When this is coupled with an increased exercise plan, the result is weight loss, which is desirable for the Type 2 Diabetic, and also helps the Type 1 control the normal weight gain associated with Insulin usage.


Where could I find treatment suggestions for newly diagnosed type 2 diabetic?
Q. Any helpful experiences from people out there especially regarding diet?
Are diabetics allowed to anything that has sugar in it?
What about diet Coke?
Could you recommend any websites where to find more information?

A. You have hit the jackpot!!!! Whoo Weee!!!

Here is what to do. In fact this is the only way to really control type 2 diabetes. No JOKE!

There are 4 key steps to controlling glucose levels :

1) EXERCISE- Walking is fine but Nordic Walking is Great. Exercise also lowers Glucose levels , lowers Cholesterol and lowers Blood Pressure. Google it.Exercise is Non-Negotiable !!!Thats why it is Number 1 on the list.Do it daily.
2) Knowledge- http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/index.ph� This is a great site for info
3) Meds. Metformin to start. Never , ever take Actos or Avandia. They may kill you. Bone fractures, heart problems and what diabetics really don't need is that they change Bone Stem Cells to Fat Cells.Also never ever take Onglyza or Januvia . They can can inhibit the bodys immune system and let cancer spread.
4) Diet- A low carb diet is in order. I can't count carbs so I use Mendosa's Glycemic Index Diet. Great for the whole family. http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

If you follow the above you will be set for life. My fasting is 96 and my HBA1C is 5.2. Been diabetic for 11 years or morre.

Take care
Tin


What are the food diet can apply for a diabetic patient ?
Q. i want to loss about 10 kilo ,to have healthy body ,i exercise but i need diet for diabetics patient type 1.
thnx for helping

A. Check out The South Beach Diet it is healthy and explains carbs well.
Basically eat lots of fruits and vegetables avoid starch.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment