Friday, December 7, 2012

My husband was just diagnosed w/ diabetes, what can I do to help him?

Q. He is on pills, and has an appointment with the diabetes teacher and a diatician. I want to know if there is anything that I can do to help him and to help keep his diabetes under control. I have asked him what he wants me to do, and he wants me to go with him to his appointments. There is no question that I will be there, but is there anything else I can do to help him?

A. Just be there for support and be willing to do the life changes that come with being diabetic, it takes a lot of management and dedication to live healthy with this disease, but as long as he has a good support system it is very manageable


My husband was just diagnosed w/ diabetes, what can I do to help him?
Q. He is on pills, and has an appointment with the diabetes teacher and a diatician. I want to know if there is anything that I can do to help him and to help keep his diabetes under control. I have asked him what he wants me to do, and he wants me to go with him to his appointments. There is no question that I will be there, but is there anything else I can do to help him?

A. The biggest thing is listen to the doctor and dietitian and help him stay on his diet. Support him in any way that you can. He most likely just needs to know that you are on his side and there for him at this time when he needs you most. That, above all else will help him the greatest. Oh, and one other thing about the diet, try not to tempt him too much by having a lot of things in the house that would break his diet. He will get used to it eventually and you may be able to bring some of that stuff back in, but at first, it will be hard for him to stay on his diet, so remove as much temptation as you can.


My diabetes is under control with an A1C of 5.9 why do I still have neuropathy in my feet and legs?
Q. I am carefully watching my diet, exercising 30 minutes a day and taking Januvia. My A1C has always been under 6. Why do I still have neuropathy? My doctor says that the reason is that even though my diabetes is under control I am STILL diabetic? What is your take on this?

A. Your A1C rate is not bad for a full blown diabetic. Most people fall from 4.6 to 5.1%, however for a diabetic 5.9% is QUITE acceptable, bravo.

However, neuropathy is nerve damage caused by your diabetic condition. In particular the fluxuation and high blood glucose levels cause this nerve damage. It is often permanent to some degree.

This is why you still experience the tingling, numbness and/or pain in your feet and legs. These nerves were damaged from your diabetic condition over time.. and the good news is Nerves DO heal, however how much and how fast is very unpredictable. It is very likely if you keep your blood glucose maintained as it is,.. that with your exercise, diet, and general 'time' the body will make attempts to repair the nerves. Again, don't expect 100% repair,.. although it is "possible". You very likely will experience reduction in symptoms as time goes on with your proper lifestyle and 'controlled blood sugar'.

I think your understanding of diabetic induced neuropathy is the reason for your confusion. Your diabetes changing factors in the body .. namely the blood (ie: high glucose levels,blood fat (lipid) levels, and so on) .. over time damaged peripheral nerves. The most common peripheral area to be effected , at first, is the feet, and as the nerve damage continues it will continue up the leg.. moving into the hands with time and so on.

So two things:

1) Be thankful your neuropathy is limited to peripheral damage,.. which is your pain/tingling/burning in legs and feet. I say this not to be smug, but there are other types of neuropathy such as autonomic neuropathy that effects nerves that control autonomic function -- the eyes, the heart, lungs, sex organs, blood vessels and so forth. If your neuropathy is limited to a relatively small section of your peripheral body (legs/feet) you have avoided alot.

2) Maintain your controlled diabetes/blood glucose levels with positive lifestyle and good monitoring -- you very likely will see improvements over time. Nerves tend to take a while to initially make any noticeable healing when the culprit that caused the damage is removed.. once they do start to show signs of regeneration it is not fast,.. months to years can be needed for an ultimate prognosis of how well the nerves did heal. So expect slow, but continuous improvements over a long period of time.

Also -- You are still diabetic, you will always be diabetic unless we develop a 'cure'. Your body has an insulin resistance .. it will always have this resistance.. however your lifestyle and behavior we have discovered can help a diabetic live a lifestyle that controls the diabetes WITHOUT insulin (this is not always the case of course, but in many it can be done.. it really depends on the patient cooperation and adherence to the protocols). So you will forever have to stay on top of things, but when you make lifestyle changes they become habit and routine.. and diabetes is no longer damaging your body or posing a threat. So for all practical purposes you are living just like anyone who DIDN'T have diabetes.


Remember, you still need the januvia to regulate blood sugar.. without the medication the diabetes would be creating complications the longer it was left untreated.
I hope that helps,


How can I lower my blood sugar?
Q. I have gestational diabetes controlled by diet. all of the sudden I started feeling very crappy like I was going to pass out. I tested my blood sugar and it was 170 after 2 1/2 hours of a meal. When I checked it, it said it was only 130 after the meal. I am not feeling good at all. Will this eventually go away over time. And are there anyways I can lower my blood sugar. I do not take insulin.

A. You have to do a HbA1C (Glycoselated Hemoglobin) test to find out if your sugar control on diet is good. If the value is below 7 that means your control is good. If it is above 7 then you have to meet your doctor for advice regarding starting medications as your diet is not adequate. But in the mean time start regular walking and/or some other exercises.
But your feeling of discomfort may not be connected with your blood sugar problem because mildly high blood sugar does not produce any symptoms other than feeling a little more thirst and passing urine. So if you are not feeling well check with your doctor for any other problem.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment