Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Is there a difference in dietary requirements between Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes sufferers?

Q. There seem to be cookbooks that are specific to Type 2 diabetes. Does this mean there's a difference in the kind of diet that Type 1 and Type 2 sufferers need to follow?

A. There is a lot of difference between the diet of all diabetics.

We have different tolerances to certain carb / protein / fat combo's.

Type 2's can vary so much. Some people can control it with a very strict diet, others can have a less strict one with tablets.

Type 1's can have a lot less of a strict diet, we learn to adjust our insulin to our carbs, just like a normal pancreas would work.
Insulin is given either via injections or a pump.

I've been type 1 since i was 9. I have very good control, and i self-medicate, like most type 1's learn to.
I can eat mostly anything, apart from the obvious, like a load of sweets, 3 pizza's etc.

Any 'specific' cookbooks are usually rubbish.
Type 2 diabetics can vary a huge amount with their medications, their dietary requirements.
There is no 'diet' that works for everyone.


How do I stop being so angry with people who have type 2 diabetes?
Q. I have had type 1 diabetes for over 25 years. I keep struggling with being angry at people who have type 2 diabetes because I feel that they only have it because of their lifestyle and it makes me angry. I keep thinking that if all I had to do is eat better and lose some weight to possibly not have this disease anymore I would do it. Can you give me some words that might help me to stop being so angry with people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. thanks.

A. Type 2 diabetes can't be cured with weight loss. Once you have it, you have it. Diet managing diabetes is not the same as diet curing diabetes.

Be thankful that you don't have the type of diabetes that makes people judge you before they even meet you. I have the type of diabetes that unfortunately has a moral connotation, as though I deserved this, did this to myself. Yeah, clearly the 17,000 relatives I have with Type 2 diabetes couldn't have been a factor, right? I'm just a bad person and if I weren't such a fat, lazy, and worthless human being, I wouldn't be diabetic anymore, right?


Do you have any positive anecdotes of pregnancy with type 2 diabetes?
Q. My husband is leery of attempting a pregnancy because I have type 2 diabetes. I have read about it, and while it is considered high risk, the success rates appear very positive.

Your ideas please.

A. I just had my 10 week ultra sound and we saw 2 babies. Just the shock of that was enough.Then I went to the Perinatal clinic [ in the same hospital ] and the nurse was looking for the doppler to listen for the baby's heart beat. I said I just had the ultra sound and guess what, It's twins !
She gasp and said, "great , that's just what I don't need. You are a high enough risk anyway just having diabetes "
It was so funny. Like it was her pregnancy.
It is a lot of work being pregnant with type 2 diabetes. I ended up taking a very high amount of insulin.And there are loads of tests.
You should see a perinatologist prior to becoming pregnant to know each other and get in the best possible diabetes control you can.You will have to get off of oral meds and go on insulin.It's not really that hard.
My A1c through out was 7.5 and all was well.
Good luck and best wishes.


What are the symptoms of type 2 diabetes and how long could you have it before you realized?
Q. I have read that in type 2 diabetes, the symptoms can be virtually non-existent, so how can you tell?

A. 3 words - Polyphagia, polydipsia, and polyuria. They mean to eat a lot, drink a lot, and pee a lot. Those are questions we are taught to ask patients to screen for diabetes. Other things DM II can do is cause nerve damage, kidney damage, and eye damage. It raises blood pressure and can increase your risk of heart attacks. Bad thing all around. To diagnose it see your doctor and get a fasting blood glucose level.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment