Friday, December 7, 2012

Is the A1c scale for juvenile diabetes different than the one for adults?

Q. A lady at work said that her son was recently diagnosed with juvenile diabetes. But she said his A1c was only 6.8. I was wondering how this could be.Because I've always been told that below an 8 was normal.

A. The scale is not different, but her son may be going through the 'honey moon phase'. This is best described as when the remaining insulin cells in the pancreas release, causing blood sugars to drop, because he is continuing to give insulin through injections. When i was in my honey moon phase my A1c dropped to 6.2%. That is probably why his A1c is so low.


Why aren't they trying to find a cure in Juvenile Diabetes? Does anyone really know the answer to this?
Q. They say there trying to find a cure, and you hear about a possible cure every now and then on the news. But what is the real answer on why they haven't found a cure. Is it because to much money that is spent on drugs, and doctor visits, etc is circulating around and this would hurt the economy even more if there was a cure. Juvenile Diabetes is a painful disease that is left to much in silence. Just why haven't they found a cure?

A. What makes you think they aren't trying? No one has called to offer youa "freebie" yet?

OF COURSE they are trying -- but the cure hasn't been found.

The NEWEST attempt uses adult stem cells injected into the pancreas. it HAS worked in mice.

But it is a LONG way from mice to men. MANY experiments must be done, procedures invented and proven safe, and finally YEARS of clinical trials using human subjects.

IF this proves to work on humans, it will be 20-30 YEARS before this cure is avialable to the public.

But they ARE working on it. Research has NOT stopped.

Juvenile Diabtes is a VERY complicated disease, and shares many commonalities with HIVB and psoriasis -- both of which are uncured, as well. The current thought is that Juvenile Diabetes is an Autoimmune disease, like HIV, but htis mechansims needs MANY more years of research before it is completely understood. A cure from this source of reasearch is very possible -- along wih a cure for AIDS and psoriasis -- but it will be a long time coming.


I need stories about when you were first diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes?
Q. Hi,

My teacher gave me an assignment to do; find stories of when people were first diagnosed w/juvenile diabetes. She wants do know how you found out, where you found out, what the symptoms were (how often were you going to the bathroom, etc) , how you reacted, how nurses/ doctors treated you, and anything and everything else you can think of. Please dont be afraid of writing whatever you want to, right about what happened minute by minute. Include small details, and make it as long as you need to.

A. My symptoms actually started about a month or two before I found out. One of the first few signs (which I didn't even know about at the time) was thirst. I would drink about 10 cups of water of juice a day (which was a lot more than regular). The following weeks I began having frequent urination (which I thought was from all the water I was drinking, but noo, haha.), as well as blurred vision. I actually went to the optometrist (SP?) to get glasses, because I thought my eyesight was going. When they checked my blood pressure, I noticed it was higher than normal, but I didn't pay much attention to it. The following couple of weeks, I began feeling sick as if I had a cold or fever, having a pale face, etc. On the day that I was my sickest, I went to school having a craving for an Ice-Orange Shake from Starbucks, so I woke up my dad to drive me before school. That morning I couldn't even chew a sandwich, and I was shivering really bad. During the middle of the school day, I began to become severely pale. And was insisted to go home. I waited in the nurses office for almost an hour before my ride came. When I went home, I immediately began puking all over the carpet. I eventually had even more CRAVINGS, but this time for strawberries. My parents knew nothing of diabetes at the time, so they kept feeding me porridge (which made my blood sugar even higher!). I eventually limped all across the house.. and become unconscious. I cannot remember if this was the next day, or the same day, but all I remember was being dragged by a 911 ambulance. They did all bunch of testing (which I can't remember, cause of the whole unconscious/barely conscious/sleepy/faint situation, haha.). All I remember was I was dropped off at some small clinic, tested, and sitting on a portable bedpan waiting for hours for something. After that situation, I was transported to UC Davis Hospital. In the car, I was EXTREMELY thirsty. And I would constantly tell the transporting doctors(?) that I was thirsty.. over and over again. Haha. When I arrived at the hospital. I was transported to the emergency care section for children (I believe, haha.). There were all sorts of tubes, and IVS stuck in my arms and hands. They would not allow me to eat or drink for the next day and a half. I did not know what was going on at the time (but during the clinic/ambulance day, even faint/unconscious, I somehow heard, 'Oh, he has diabetes'). But it didn't hit me at that time. If you would like to know more, haha. (considering this is already a long answer as it is), please email me at j.mths@yahoo.com for the rest of my story(:


Are there any family with kids that have Juvenile Diabetes that live in AZ?
Q. We are looking to get together Family's that have kids with Juvenile Diabetes together for a camp out.

A. we have many cases here in the middle east .





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment