Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I have a tingling numbness in my feet when I wake up. Is this a sign of diabetes?

Q. I checked the websites on diabetes and found this may be one of the signs of diabetes. But I don't have any of the other symptoms that are listed. Do you think I may have diabetes or is this a symptom of something else?
Also is there any good diagnostic websites you can recommend?

A. If you want to see if you have diabetes you can do a couple of tests with your doctor.
1. Fast Blood Glucose test
2. HgA1C
3. Glucose tolerance test

All those would point to you having diabetes.

As for the neuropathy that you are talking about, it takes diabetics YEARS before they get that. Most Type2 (adult onset) diabetics get neuropathy after having diagnosed/undiagnosed diabetes for years. Type 1 diabetics (juvenile - and you would know if you had this) can get it earlier in life.

As for you, it may be that the mattress you are sleeping on is putting pressure on points in your body when you sleep, causing nerve damage (as slight as it may be) which causes the tingling. When a nerve is pinched for a period of time and then is released it will "Wake up" and cause that shooting, tingling, cramping, numbness feeling.

As a side note... If you were diabetic and had nueropathy, it would be ALL the time and not just in the mornings.


What are all the signs for diabetes and do you think I have it?
Q. Lately, I've been worrying that I have diabetes. First of all, I get thirsty a lot. Second, I tend to have to go to the bathroom a lot. And a lot of times, I have the urge to go, but when I sit down on the toilet, nothing happens. So is it possible that I have diabetes? And also, please list the other signs of diabetes. Thanks for all answers in advance. :)

A. Sounds to me that you may have a Urinary Tract Infection, or Bladder Infection, not diabetes. The signs for diabetes are:
increased thirst
increased hunger
fatigue
increased urination, especially at night
weight loss
blurred vision
sores that do not heal
If you are still worried about having diabetes, or if you have any of the other signs, you need to have your blood sugar level checked immediately. I think you should make an appointment with your doctor anyways, and let him know what's going on with the thirst, and the not being able to urinate. Could be something serious, but easily fixable with some good antibiotics.


Is numbness and that pinching needle feeling like your foot is falling asleep in your legs, a sign of diabetes?
Q. Everytime I put my legs up on my couch or I sit indian style, my feet and bottom part of my legs (like the front of my calves) start getting that tingly feeling and numb feeling, and the feeling gets so strong I have to move into a different position..this has been going on for 6 months now...Should I be worried? IS this an early sign of diabetes?

A. It could be very well a sign of diabetes. It can also be a number of other major problems.

GO! see your doctor for complete physical exam with blood draws. If it is all clear, go see a podiatrist to see why you are not having good circulation in your feet and legs.

For others who think this is not a symptom: I was having these exact problems when I was diagnosed. That was why I went to the doctor!!!


Can upper abdominal pain be a sign of diabetes?
Q. I've had upper abdominal pain, and my doc diagnosed me as having a mild case of pancreatitis (no tests were done). I've had a numbness on and off in my left thigh and left arm, back pain on the same side. I also have a "floater" in my vision sometimes. I think I could have diabetes (my brother has it who is 37, I'm 30). Does anyone think these are all signs of diabetes?

A. Where is the pain exactly in your upper abdomen?

I'm not saying that no tests need to be done, but pancreatitis is very distinct in where the pain is, and what it feels like...

It could be a sign of diabetes, go get a test kit and find out... they're only like 15 bucks from rite aid, get a cheap one... they all tell you the same thing...

I'm diabetic, from having pancreatitis... And when you're having an onset of pancreatitis, it's not uncommon to have a fluctuation in your blood sugar... Your pancreas is what creates your insulin...

I had half of my pancreas removed, because of tissue necrosis, worst pain ever... Be glad you have a mild case... It's interesting that your doc didn't admit you to the hospital and stop any intake, of anything.... Pancreatitis can easily get worse.... What i'd recommend (i'm not a doctor, but i almost died from it, and i'm in nursing school), is not to eat for a few days... Thats what they'd normally do in the hospital, that and give you pain meds...

I've never seen anyone admitted to the hospital with pancreatitis, that they didn't starve for a few days. Of course, they usually have IV Nutrition... But hey... I've done it to myself during small bouts when I didn't have the time to sit in the hospital for a few days...

Any food stimulates the pancreas to create enzymes... Stimulation of an already inflamed (-itis) pancreas (pancreat/o-) can make it worse... Think about it, would you jump on a broken leg?


As for the diabetes... You'll know when you have it, get a test monitor, and check your glucose readings (AFTER you're done with pancreatitis, you'll get false readings if your pancreas is out of whack)... You'll know, the first major sign is urinating like, every 5 min... seriously, every 5 min...

I know why you're probably paranoid about numbness... Because diabetics are known for loss of sensation in their extremities.. But, you're only 30, and honestly... I doubt you'd be experiencing any of that by now, but... I guess it's possible... You wouldn't have been looked over for that long, for you to be having numbness...





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment