Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How much wet food should I feed my 15lb cat?

Q. Vet says he should weigh about 12lbs, and I am switching to an all wet food diet, because he has recently been diagnosed with diabetes, and the information I have read states that cats with this condition should have a high-protein, low-carb diet. I still have the dry food, so if I need to supplement with a little I can, although I am trying to minimize his carb intake.

Also, if you say how many cans a day, please specify how many ounces per can since cans come in either 3 or 5.5 ounces commonly. Thank you!

A. I'd start by feeding him about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 of the 5.5 oz. cans per day, split into 2 or 3 meals. Weigh him every few days, and then adjust the amount of food if he's losing the weight too quickly or too slowly.


How many here still believe sugar causes diabetes?
Q. I used to believe that. My mother was told by a doctor that the candy she ate caused her diabetes, while I was still in my early teens. At that point, I quit putting sugar on my cereal, avoided sweets, and learned to like unsweetened foods. Well, guess what.... 35 years later, I find out I'm diabetic. No, folks... it's not sugar. It's genetic predisposition, poor diet, poor weight management, and sedentary lifestyle (lack of exercise). Since adopting a rather comprehensive lifestyle change, I've found that managing your blood sugar is not that difficult if you're willing to make a few easy changes in your routine. I managed a 5.8 on my hemoglobin A1C test last month. Check out my diabetes information webpage for details: http://www.geocities.com/seabulls69/Type_II_Diabetes.html
So far, one... maybe two, are getting it. The rest need to do more homework. Hint: there's a link on my webpage with big, bold letters that says: "SUGAR DOES NOT CAUSE DIABETES"... click it, read it, then get back to me before you post your opinion. Thanks.
We continue to get uninformed answers. Darn. Eric K is the most recent culprit. He says I'm wrong (despite my compelling evidence) and then cites a source that makes absolutely no mention of sugar... only obesity. Come on people. Eric.... you need to get an email so we can talk.
Anita points out that I left out the cause of type 1. Still ain't sugar, though. In the case of type 1, as far as I can tell, it's the body's immune system attacking the islets in the pancreas. As to what triggers the immune reaction, it apparently has to do with a childhood disease and/or the ingestion of cow's milk (which has proteins similar to those in the pancreas thereby fooling the body's immune system and causing it to attack the cells in the pancreas). There doesn't seem to be much certainty on this issue. If there were, I'm sure a cure would be just around the corner. Thanks, Anita, for pointing out my selfish oversight.
George D... wtf?

A. NOT ME AND THANKS FOR YOUR HELP I CAN'T GET MY READING BELOW 11 AND ANY HELP IS WELCOME


My girlfriend was just diagnosed with diabetes...what can I do to support her?
Q. So...today my girlfriend was taken to the hospital after passing out and was subsequently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I can't begin to imagine the kind of lifestyle changes and stress this is going to make her undergo--but now, more than ever, I want to be there to support her through it all. I've spent most of the day researching basic diabetes information and thinking through things.

I guess what I mean to ask is: what can I do to support my girlfriend now, and how can I do it best without becoming a nuisance to her?

Thanks.

A. Some great information offered by tmin, and I'd agree with him/her about 'being there' for your girlfriend.

Obviously, you'll appreciate that there's a lot to learn right now ... for both of you ... but your girlfriend's mind must be in turmoil. Try to imagine, one minute you're healthy, and in the next you're told that you've got a lifelong condition that's going to need to take control of.

As you say, sir, you've been researching diabetes information. You'll appreciate, therefore, that there's more to it than just eating and having insulin injections. How about doing that research together? Become involved that way. There are countless forums that you could sign up for where people speak about diabetes in particular ... some of them are aimed specifically at type 1 diabetes too. Before long, you'll both have sufficient knowledge and information to be offering your own opinions/advice.

I'm sure that you'll already know that exercise is a pretty big thing with controlling diabetes, so why not both do something together. You don't necessarily need to sign up for your favourite [favorite] football/soccer team, but there are things that can be done more sedately, such as walking, swimming, aerobics, etc.

One thing that I would say is please don't 'pick your girlfriend up' over minor lapses. It happens to us all. Whatever you do, no matter how much research you've done, don't try letting on that you know more about diabetes than your girlfriend does. It's she that has the condition and, although not yet an expert, and unless you, too, are diabetic, you can't 'feel' the things she's feeling. Just 'play it by ear' young sir and I'm sure your girlfriend will appreciate that you're in this together.

Best of luck to you both.


What is the difference between fat, sugar and calories?
Q. are they all the same. What if you consume too much food that does not contain fat and sugar of any kind in it will you still be at risk of diabetes. The nutrition information on every food when it mentions the amount of calories does that count also the calories that comes from fat and sugar as well.

A. A calorie is a unit of energy that the body usually uses in the form of glucose. Calories come from fats, carbohydrates, and proteins. Fat is an organic compound that contains 9 calories per gram. Types of fats include heart healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats and unhealthy saturated and synthetic trans fats. Sugar is a carbohydrate, so it contains 4 calories per gram. Natural sugars such as those is fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads, and dairy products are very healthy. Sugars such as sucrose, honey, molasses, and cane juice are not necessarily bad for you but are best used in moderation. Monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats are healthy for you and should add up to about 25% of your daily calorie intake. Limit your intake of artery-clogging saturated fat and completely avoid trans fat. If that is not possible for you try to keep your daily intake under 1-2 grams. Your daily diet should generally contain 25% protein, 25% healthy fat, and 50% carbohydrates (sugars and starches). However this can change depending on your dietary needs and activity level.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment