Tuesday, December 4, 2012

How can you tell if you have Diabetes type 1?

Q. Ive been told I have diabetic symptoms. I frequently urinate and am always wanting water. I just recently changed my diet drastically and as a result Im very fatigued as of lately. Recently a doctor told me that I could be a risk as I had a very rough incident with starting and stopping psych meds last year. I never ended up getting checked out, but how would I know? I mean what would bring one to the doctor to ask if they can be tested for diabetes? Thanks.

A. You may have diabetes symptoms, my friend, but this does NOT automatically mean that you do have diabetes.

The symptoms experienced in diabetes are very generic, meaning that they could also be indicators of something else that's going on.

The ONLY way to know for sure is through having your blood glucose levels checked. This will determine whether or not you have diabetes. You would then need to have what's called a C-peptide test. C-peptide is only produced when insulin is produced so, if there's no C-peptide, you have type 1 diabetes.

As your first respondent correctly points out, side-effects of psychiatric medications does NOT always lead to type 1 diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune condition, whereby your own immune system, for some reason, sees the beta cells (islets of Langerhans) as an invading force and sets out to destroy them.

I am NOT saying that psych medications can't cause type 1 diabetes as anything is possible. It could be that certain psych medications cause your immune system to react in this way.

I wish you well, my friend, and I do hope that you're not diabetic ... though you'd be a welcome member of my gang. ;-)


Can u have sharp pains while having diabetes?
Q. i have all the diabetic symptoms and heart pain do i have diabetes?

A. Hey,

If you have all the diabetic symptoms then I would recommend going to see your doctor or go to the hospital as soon as possible. Also heart pain may be related, as when I was diagnosed I had heart pains sometimes as well. However that is not a known symptom. I can not personally say weather you have diabetes or not, but go and see your doctor or go to the hospital as your better safe than sorry.


Blood work in a few days until then Advice for what to eat? excersise?
Q. I'm currently going through some pre-diabetic symptoms: frequent urination, exessive thirst, increased appettite, blurred vision, fatigue among others. Blood work in a few days.

A. If you haven't already done so, check this out:
http://www.geocities.com/seabulls69/Type_II_Diabetes.html

It's very simple... eat what Mother Nature intended for us to eat and be active in the way our bodies were intended to be. You'll be surprised at how easy and effective it is. After five years of searching and searching, and watching as my blood sugar climbed ever higher while on Metformin, I'm still amazed at how simple (and obvious) the answer was. When I quit the medication in December, the energy I began to feel was incredible.


How do i convince my aunt she needs to help herself ?
Q. neither yelling nor compassionate negotiating works, she's too careless about her deteriorating health (diabetic symptoms, no official diagnosis but you can judge by her terrible diet and smoking/coffee addiction), both physical and mental (depression). And no matter how much i encourage her, she still hangs unto her helpless " woe is me " behavior. What would it take someone like her to wake up ? I want her to feel in control and i tried so hard without success.

A. Unfortunately the only way that you are going to be able to convince her to seek medical help is to force her with the help of the police when her habits become severe enough that she becomes a "danger to herself". Unfortunately this is determined, as in her case, when they are close to death from all of the bad habits that they have carried on with and the mental disorder that she is currently experiencing.

If she becomes suicidal, this is also a situation which you will be able to call for help. She may not at that time be placing herself in a dangerous state of well being medically, but will be placing herself in a dangerous state as far as her mental health is concerned.

I do hope that you are able to obtain help for her. This is a very difficult situation which you are dealing with, one which can be very exasperating when all factors are taken into fact.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment