Thursday, December 6, 2012

Can following a diabetic diet plan if I'm not diabetic be beneficial?

Q. I'm not diabetic but it seems that following a diabetic diet plan to lose weight might be sensible, as my downfalls are mainly sweets and carbs.
Can following a diabetic diet plan be beneficial to a non-diabetic? Can I possibly lose weight faster that way?
I figure cutting sugars and carbs to a bare minimal could be a good thing, but I'm not sure.
If anyone has any idea, please let me know!

A. Eating healthy is always a step in the right direction to staying healthy. Its great that you are taking this important step be sure to include a good work out plan and you will have a long and healthy life.

Here are a few links that should help:
http://www.healthcentral.com/diabetes/diet.html
http://www.dietpower.com/dietplanner.php

good luck!


Is it safe for someone whom does not have Diabetes to eat a Diabetic Diet?
Q. My husband has been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol. In supporting his "new" Diabetic diet, I have opted to be on a Diabetic Diet with him. Also, my daughter is 10, and she is very thin, I was having her do this diet as well, but allow her to eat "junk" food on occasion. Is it nutritionally safe for my child to do a No Sugar/Low Fat diet as well?

A. A Diabetic Diet is actually a healthy diet, but distributed in a way to allow your body to process nutrients more efficiently. Diabetics are not necessarily barred from particular food products, but must integrate them in their dietary schedule. Diabetes educators work to assist individual diabetics to work their favourite foods into a diet for them. Much of this is focused on portions, eating smaller meals over longer periods of time and maintaining glucose counts.


Is a high Glycemic Index diet essentially the same thing as the diabetic exchange diet?
Q. Been told to go on a strict GI diet, which is low on bad carbs. Is that the same as a diabetic diet?

A. No, they are very different plans. The diabetic exchange diet is an archaic system where various amounts of foods were assigned an "exchange" value. 1 exchange of breads/starches were estimated at 15g of carb (1 small potato, 1 slice of bread, 1 small brownie), etc. The problem is that the foods we eat don't often fit these 15g amounts (most breads are 17-20g of carb per slice), so you ended up with very inaccurate carb estimations.

The glycemic index assigns values to various foods based on how quickly they are metabolized and their impact on blood glucose. Also very inaccurate and highly disputed on it's usefulness.

The best method is to keep your carbs at a moderate level, no more than 30-40g per meal.


How do I go on a diabetic diet?
Q. Today I found out I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. My doctor prescribed Metformin and told me to go on a diabetic diet, as well as exercise 45 mins daily. Is there a site or book that will help me learn about this type of diet? I know that, generally, there is less sugar, as well as a low amount of breads/pastas..but that's all I have right now.

A. In essence the diabetic diet is the food pyramid. To get the best results for your health, ask your physician for a referral to a dietitian. They'll be able to tailor a meal plan that suits your needs.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment