Friday, December 7, 2012

Can Diabetes 2 cause tingling in the feet that comes and goes?

Q. Sometimes the tingling is persistent and lasts for many days.
Other times it dies down or completely goes away for a few hours at a time.
It's gotten a bit better since I started a low dose of Metformin.
Going to a higher dose in a few days. The reason I ask is because I'm not sure if Diabetes would cause this or not. Thanks for any input. :)

A. Yes, my friend, type 2 diabetes can cause what's called diabetic peripheral neuropathy. This comes about due to damage to the nerves in the extremities ... in this case, your feet ... from chronic elevated blood sugar (glucose) levels.

You need to speak with your doctor about this, my friend, as there are medications which MAY help. I say MAY help as different medications work for different people. Some of the medications can cause adverse effects, so you need to ask your doctor about these. (Some of the medications, which MAY include pain killers, antidepressant drugs, as well as anti-seizure drugs, can cause really intense lethargy/tiredness, and you MAY find yourself sleeping for most of the day ... every day ... whilst you're taking them.)


Can diabetes cause mild abdominal pain and medium/bad nausea?
Q. -Can diabetes cause mild abdominal pain and medium/bad nausea?

-Can I have diabetes if I'm 14, NOT overweight, and it does NOT run in my family?
Thanks for trying to help, I appreciate it, but I'm not pregnant, I'm a virgin.

A. yes those can be symptoms of Diabetes mellitus, or a ton of other things....including flu and gastritis.

yes you can have diabetes even if your thin and young.

Diabetes does seem to have a genetic predisposition, but hardly guarentees anyone from getting it.


What exactly causes diabetes type II, and what happens when your blood glucose levels rise too fast?
Q. My mom had told me diabetes was caused by eating too much sugar, but I found out it was a myth! So, what exactly causes it? What's the role of food with a lot of carbs?

And the insulin -- what happens when the pancreas produces too much?

I would like answers from people who actually know about this, not from people who think they know but are not sure.

A. If you believe the media, and what most people around you think, then Type 2 diabetes is caused by eating too much sugar, eating too much junk food, living a bad lifestyle, being a couch potato. You will also hear lots of information about how you can 'prevent' diabetes by losing a little weight and taking regular exercise.

Guess what? Most of that is rubbish. I learnt that the hard way. Last year I was diagnosed with diabetes. I hadn't touched sugar in 15 years, and was not a great fan of any refined carbohydrates. I was known among my friends for eating a healthy, varied diet. I don't have a car; my only form of transport is walking and I do that a lot. I used to be overweight but over the past years had lost 25% of my body weight, and kept it off. I was 129 pounds/BMI 23.9 when diagnosed.

Ever since then I've been reading all I can about the condition, and I realized (and this is backed up by my doctors) that the only thing I did 'wrong' was to have chosen the wrong grandparents. Oops! How could I prevent diabetes by choosing better grandparents?

I recently read a really good summary of what medical science knows (and doesn't know) about diabetes. It's by the chief medical officer of the American Diabetes Association and you can find it here:
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/15/with-diabetes-dont-focus-on-blame/


How does diabetes lead to so many other problems?
Q. I heard that diabetes can cause blindness and amputation in the legs, kidney failure and liver damage.

Can someone please explain in Detail as I want explain to a friend who is addicted to sugar.

A. actually diabetes is not related to addiction to sugar, although it's true that sugar can make you obese, and it's obesity that is related to diabetes.

Diabetes messes up with circulation and blood vessels. High level of sugar stored in blood vessels can cause damage, and this eventually cause damage to organs.
For eye disease, it's because the microvascular (small blood vessels) around retina, which is like a screen at the back of eyeball breaks, and it regrows in a wrong way that it causes further damage.
Disorder in the vessels can cause wounds and ulcers difficult to heal, and it also lessens the amount of oxygen the tissue around the wound gets. That way, some of the tissues die, and it easily becomes food for bacterias. If it no longer can be saved, it should be amputed, because if not, the fed bacterias will spread via bloodstream and cause more tissue death.
Kidney abnormalities can also be caused by disorder in vessel supporting kidney.
It can also cause nerve damage and heart damage.





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment